Hand painted canvas and muslin photography backdrops?

7 years 7 months ago #491531 by Tim Burg
Any of you spend the extra bucks on hand painted canvas and muslin photography backdrops? 

Did you find the quality exceed your expectations?  

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #491797 by Foggy
It's a hit or miss to be honest.  I've ordered some backdrops that came in and were gorgeous while others were of horrible quality.  

These days, there is no silver bullet.  

Try either Denny mfg or Studiodynamics  

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #491954 by Joslyn
Now the hand painted ones, when they get folded, will the paint crack quicker?  

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #492031 by One Creative Girl
OMG make sure not to go cheap here.  My husband bought me a 'hand painted' backdrop last year and it wasn't.  It was the worst quality and just feels cheap.  He's not a photographer so didn't know any better.  The quality ones are going to cost you, but they will be worth it. 

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #492048 by Scott Klubeck
So true, you get what you pay for.  Tripods, camera bags and backdrops are a few things  you don't want to go cheap on.  

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #492392 by MYoung
OMG stay clear of the cheap backdrops.  They never last.  NEVER.  I've been down that path a few times and it's always a disappointment.  

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #494625 by Gammill

Joslyn wrote: Now the hand painted ones, when they get folded, will the paint crack quicker?  

Their not supposed too, at least the good ones aren't

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #495817 by MYoung

Gammill wrote:

Joslyn wrote: Now the hand painted ones, when they get folded, will the paint crack quicker?  

Their not supposed too, at least the good ones aren't

Famous last words!  LOL I've had items in the past that you paid a higher premium for, and they fall apart.  

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #496746 by Chris Yates
Yikes - was thinking about getting a backdrop for the photo class that I teach, but I might do a little bit more research after stumbling on this thread...

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #497798 by srubio77
From my experience, any sort of backdrop is sort of a mixed bag...I try to get something see something in person before purchase if at all possible.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024