Disappointed by backcountry bags. Anything new on the market?

5 years 8 months ago #598341 by James-
I have gone through this entire forum going back a few years and looked at every post about hiking packs for photography. This seems to be a recurring problem. 

F-stop was a huge leap forward. The atlas bag looks good. And the Shimoda 60L is probably the BEST one out there at the moment. (agree/disagree?) 

Here is the problem:
I got into photography because I am a hiker. I do long trails. I like spending extended periods of time in the backcountry (preferably nothing less than a week). All these so called hiking bags are good for is an overnighter, maybe two. This won't do. If the weather is not cooperating at the spot you have spent weeks researching, or the cloud cover is not quite arranged the way you like it, or maybe the angle you thought was going to work in reality doesn't work, etc, You don't have time to reposition or wait out the the weather or just experience the scene in all of its variations. Instead you have to pack up and leave because your pack only holds two nights worth of food. Or you have to bring less gear (one body, one lens, and tripod). This is fine but it is not ideal. Painters don't paint with just one brush, and photographers shouldn't shoot with just one lens. My ideal kit is a body, 16-35mm, 70-200mm, and 150-600mm (or if I had the money; the 500mm f/4), There have been so many times when I take my tamron 150-600 out and the cloud cover is perfect, colors thrown all over the peaks, and I can't capture it because my amature ass only brought one lens. Or vice versa. I have my 16-35 and I happen to come across a fox, or small group of mountain goats. It would be idiotic to try to approach them with a 16-35mm, especially during rutting season. Of coarse I treasure the experience. But I am a photographer and I want the shot but I can't becuase I can't fit the photo gear I need and the camping kit in one bag. I have mastered ultra light camping so my kit is pretty light and compact. I use a tarp and bivy so my shelter weight less than 1 1/2 lbs and I use a down sleeing bag that is also around 2lbs and very compressible. But it really comes down to food. For a weeks worth of food, that requires some space. Plus, where I go, I am often required to bring a bear canister. Boo! (But it keeps the bears safe! So thats a plus!) 

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Is there anything new on the market that addresses this problem? Am I the only one with this problem? 

5 years 8 months ago #598414 by garyrhook
I'm not a serious hiker, but I've been looking at options of late.

F-Stop has larger packs than the Shimoda, and they have ICUs for whatever you need. But the real question is, camera aside, how big a pack do you need for a week? And what has to be added for photography? I think that's the real question.

Comment: if you must compromise on your equipment, then you do the best you can with what you have. That's the way photography works.

Agree that F-Stop is likely the best option, but you might go to an REI to consider options, and adapt as required for the camera stuff.

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #598434 by James-
I'm in REI all the time. I currently use a 60L hiking pack because there are no photo bags that fit my needs. The problem with traditional hiking packs is that they no longer feature front entry zippers because the thinking was that if the zipper fails then there is nothing to hold the contents of the pack inside. Second, hiking packs have NEVER featured the popular rear entry that photographers have come to love. So what you end up doing is having to dig out your photo equipment from all the various other gear. Its a mess. and its a pain. The result is less photos are taken until you have gotten to camp and emptied your pack of most of the non-photography gear.

The bigger F-stop packs are way too heavy. If I am going to pay that kind of price it needs to check off more of the boxes that I am looking for. Also, 101 in packing a pack for heavy loads is to always raise the heaviest items higher up on your back without going too much higher than your shoulders. All photo packs are designed to carry your photo gear (probably the heaviest items in your pack) at the very bottom of the pack. It's like dragging a rock around on the ground rather than using your lower body to support the load. Our backs deserve better treatment than that.

5 years 8 months ago #598578 by garyrhook
Very interesting and informative. Thank you.

I would think the ICUs would allow one to put things where you want them, but I've not laid hands on one so don't have any data.

I know that I would, had I the experience and knowledge, contact F-Stop and raise those issues with them, to encourage them to design something that might be more suitable. One wonders how many packs they sell to people that end up being dissatisfied for the reasons you list?

Besides continuing to shop, at this time you have constraints. You'll have to prioritize and make choices. Not sure what else you can do. Other than maybe launch your own Kickstarter to design and manufacture a bag that addresses unmet needs?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024