The correct way to carry big lenses

5 years 4 months ago #619227 by C.C.
I've heard horror stories about how to carry big lenses, and that if you attach your camera strap to your camera while you have a large lens mounted, you risk damage to your cameras and lens mounts.  Just to be clear, you can attach your camera strap to the lens foot right?

So what do you do when you have a camera strap that doesn't have quick release?  Lately I have been looking at one of those Hyperion colored straps, however there aren't any quick releases.  So what would you do?

Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #619243 by GaryA
In a worse case scenario, if you haven't a strap for the lens, you carry the camera by the lens. If you're using a mono or tri pod, then by the pod. If possible, toss the lens, pod and camera over your shoulder. Wrap your camera strap around your wrist/shoulder/neck to keep it out of the way and as a backup if you lose your grip. Always make sure there is slack in the camera strap. If possible, carry the lens in its case/bag until you arrive at your setup/photo position.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 4 months ago #619248 by Troponin
Yes, you can use the lens foot for the strap. Cameras
are able to support their own
weight very well. That being said, I wouldn’t let it swing around. Be sure to support it
because a hard hit against something with a large lens on can cause quite a shock to a mount. 

After I bought my monopod, I rarely used my strap again. You can sling it over your shoulder while it’s on a monopod, so it’s not terrible to carry around 

Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #619251 by GaryA
Also you can dedicated strap just for the lens.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 4 months ago #619557 by Finn
I'll just carry it by the lens foot and be done with it.  It's there to support the lens.  You'll be fine. 

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #623664 by desmobob
I have the old version of the AF Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 with no tripod mount. I use it on a D750 w/ battery grip. That lens is known for having a fragile auto-manual focus switch/ring, so I'm hesitant to loop a strap around it so I can support the load by the lens.

When not hand-holding this rig by the lens, I let it hang, lens pointed straight down, by the neck strap; I don't have much choice. To minimize stress on the lens mount, I only let it hang like this when I'm not moving. It still stresses me out that I may be stressing the lens/camera body out!

I will look for a strong but soft flat nylon double-loop strap so I can put a girth hitch around the lens body and clip the neck strap to it. I have some climbers web strap I can have someone sew me one up with if I can't find a pre-made strap that is suitable.

Stay sharp,
Bob

5 years 3 months ago #623903 by George Winters
When in question, use caution. 

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #623952 by H Rocky
What's the worst thing that can happen?

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #623961 by garyrhook

H Rocky wrote: What's the worst thing that can happen?

Stress on the mount flange, and an inability to remove or mount lenses.

So it's not moot.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #625045 by Ken Brun
So how would something like that be repaired or would that exceed the value of the lens?

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #625058 by Nikon Shooter
There is a strap attached to all my long lenses but I carry
them by the foot each one has.

The most important is a sure grip and avoid fatigue.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024