Pistol Grip vs Ballhead tripod head difference?

3 months 1 week ago #656868 by Toby J
Aside from the visual difference between a Pistol Grip and Ballhead tripod head, why would you want the pistol grip one?  I have a 'normal' tripod ballhead.  Or at least I think my Manfrotto is the norm. 

What's the deal with the pistol grip ones?  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 months 1 week ago #656910 by Phyllis Miller
It's all preference and what feels good in your hands. Personally I don't like the pistol grip heads. 

3 months 1 week ago #656964 by Toby J

Phyllis Miller wrote: It's all preference and what feels good in your hands. Personally I don't like the pistol grip heads. 

Seems rather bulky if you want my 2 cents.  Thought that there might be more to it.  

Photo Comments

3 months 1 week ago #656985 by Randy Shaw
I had a pistol grip head, for 4 days a few years ago, and didn't like it at all.  Sent it back.  Just not me, didn't like the flow and handling of it.  

Photo Comments

3 months 1 week ago #657344 by Overread
Not a fan of the pistol grip heads.

Photo Comments

3 months 6 days ago #657675 by Roman Omell
Never been a fan of the pistol grip heads.  A friend had one, I tried and it while it feels like you have more control and feeling over the movement, it's just awkward to maneuver.  

Photo Comments

3 months 4 days ago #657939 by F Anderson
I'll stick to my Manfrotto plain Jane ball head. 

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Yes, there are many different cheap full frame cameras available in 2019. The question is, which budget full frame cameras are best for 2020? Find out in this comparison review.

Dec 06, 2019

In the Nikon Z6 vs Canon EOS R debate, which one is the best buy for you? Get all the details on both these cameras in this detailed comparison review.

Dec 04, 2019

Sure, the Nikon D610 is going on seven years old, but if you want a full frame camera, you'll be hard-pressed to find a cheaper one. Learn about the features and benefits of this camera in our Nikon D610 review.

Nov 27, 2019

The FujiFilm X-Pro 3 is a brand-new camera with distinct retro styling. Is it the right camera for you? Find out in this detailed FujiFilm X-Pro 3 review.

Nov 26, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using a teleprompter when creating videos allows you to give your audience a much-improved message. With one of these best teleprompters of 2019, you can do so without busting your budget!

Dec 09, 2019

If you're ready to take better travel photos and make money while you do it, have a look at this tutorial for some must-have travel photography tips.

Dec 09, 2019

Photo by Geo Days on Unsplash If you're scared of going to the dentist, you should probably stop reading now. A dentist in...

Dec 08, 2019

Photo by Victória Kubiaki on Unsplash It's not every day that someone goes out of their way to make strangers smile, but that's...

Dec 08, 2019

Photo by Olenka Kotyk on Unsplash  Brides will always expect photographers to work for free because photography is an...

Dec 07, 2019

The best camera bags of 2019 include duffel bags and slings, backpacks and leather bags. Their common trait? These are some of the most well-designed, rugged, and functional bags available today.

Dec 06, 2019

I'm making the move to Canon mirrorless cameras, specifically the EOS R. Here's a few thoughts on the transition so far, including some pleasant surprises!

Dec 06, 2019

Yes, there are many different cheap full frame cameras available in 2019. The question is, which budget full frame cameras are best for 2020? Find out in this comparison review.

Dec 06, 2019