Any real experience with cheap carbon fiber tripods?

2 years 1 month ago #733580 by r1ch
So I have an aluminum tripod, when the legs are extended it is 55 inches. With the head on it it is eye level so I don't have to raise the center column and possibly introduce more instability. It holds 22 lbs I like it but it is heavy  Slik 700DX

I am looking to buy an inexpensive carbon fiber travel tripod for shooting macro/insect/flower that is easy to move and light weight.
Has anyone have and have used any of these.
www.adorama.com/kf09094.html
www.adorama.com/vgveo2233cb.html
www.adorama.com/vgveo2204cb.html
www.amazon.com/Compact-Traveler-Lightwei...pacity/dp/B07KD3R47X

Basically what is your experience with low priced K&F, Vangard Veo, Suri.
I have a Vangard camera bag and it serves me well. and there are good ratings on amazon on these (some bad ones too) but they have 3 to 5 year warranties. Anyone used one of these and how did you like it?

2 years 1 month ago #733582 by Scotty

r1ch wrote: So I have an aluminum tripod, when the legs are extended it is 55 inches. With the head on it it is eye level so I don't have to raise the center column and possibly introduce more instability. It holds 22 lbs I like it but it is heavy  Slik 700DX

I am looking to buy an inexpensive carbon fiber travel tripod for shooting macro/insect/flower that is easy to move and light weight.
Has anyone have and have used any of these.
www.adorama.com/kf09094.html
www.adorama.com/vgveo2233cb.html
www.adorama.com/vgveo2204cb.html
www.amazon.com/Compact-Traveler-Lightwei...pacity/dp/B07KD3R47X

Basically what is your experience with low priced K&F, Vangard Veo, Suri.
I have a Vangard camera bag and it serves me well. and there are good ratings on amazon on these (some bad ones too) but they have 3 to 5 year warranties. Anyone used one of these and how did you like it?

Go RRS or gitzo and go all the way.  

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
2 years 1 month ago #733585 by Scotty

Photo Comments
2 years 1 month ago #733586 by r1ch
I don't need anything that expensive.

2 years 1 month ago #733587 by r1ch

Scotty wrote: electronicsmonk.com/electronics/camera/t...s-under-1000-to-buy/ if this helps.

Yeah, the reasonably priced suggestions are heavier than what I have now. I am looking for a travel tripod. The light weight ones are over $300. My pics are under $100 and are all lightweight carbon fiber.

I am really looking for someone who has had experience with the K&F brand Travel tripod . Or Vanguard tripod or Suri all in the under $125

The following user(s) said Thank You: Scotty
2 years 1 month ago #733603 by Screamin Scott
The price range would leave out my 3 Legged Thing travel pod...Sorry, can't help. I do a lot of macros but seldom use a pod...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
2 years 1 month ago #733605 by Scotty

Screamin Scott wrote: The price range would leave out my 3 Legged Thing travel pod...Sorry, can't help. I do a lot of macros but seldom use a pod...

How you been Scott?

Photo Comments
2 years 1 month ago #733606 by Screamin Scott
I'm hanging in there. My Father in Law recently passed thus I've been trying to help my wife get his affairs in order and not shooting much. I have gone over to Mirrorless with Olympus (several models) but still have all of my Nikon gear and use both about the same amount, just for different purposes...

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
2 years 1 month ago #733607 by r1ch

Screamin Scott wrote: The price range would leave out my 3 Legged Thing travel pod...Sorry, can't help. I do a lot of macros but seldom use a pod...

I have looked at those and they look great. So I can just use what I have now, not a big deal but it would be very nice to have something lighter. If I were shooting single shot, hand held is fine, but the R5 has a burst mode focus stacking mode and I need something to keep it steady. I have even considered a monopod with tri feet on it but it won't help moving closer and away from the subject. Maybe I should just get it, But if the ones in the $160  are better I would get one of those. It would have limited uses so I don't want to spend to much on it but I also don't want my camera to take a fall. I have done hand held and my lens is auto focus but even still, I sometimes get oof shot because I am moving around and the AF does not compensate enough. Thanks for the answer though.

2 years 1 month ago #733610 by Scotty

Screamin Scott wrote: I'm hanging in there. My Father in Law recently passed thus I've been trying to help my wife get his affairs in order and not shooting much. I have gone over to Mirrorless with Olympus (several models) but still have all of my Nikon gear and use both about the same amount, just for different purposes...

Sorry to hear of his passing. World sure has changed.

Photo Comments
2 years 1 month ago #733820 by Photo Junky
3 Legged thing is another one to look at, they have some inexpensive tripods worth looking at. 

Photo Comments
2 years 1 month ago #733833 by r1ch
You are the second person to mention that brand and the lowest price one is $128 but it is not carbon fiber :(

2 years 3 days ago #736452 by Zach Mosher

I was going to suggest 3 Legged Thing, they have some nice options for affordable price tag.  UK brand I want to say.  

Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #737324 by Jon East
The only cheap carbon fiber tripod that I ever used was one of those 3 Legged Things, which was fine when it was new, however the legs quickly got lose.

Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #737334 by Screamin Scott
 I've had no issues with mine.

Jon East wrote: The only cheap carbon fiber tripod that I ever used was one of those 3 Legged Things, which was fine when it was new, however the legs quickly got lose.

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024