CF Card Life Expectancy and another question concerning them

12 years 10 months ago #91909 by ozman1865
I currently have Three CF cards two of the 4 gig cards and one 8 gig card. I am shooting with a Canon 50D and Love the way everything works. I have noticed in the past few weeks that I am having to denoise a lot of my pictures. I have checked to see that my ISO is not out of wack and causing this problem. I have been thinking about this as I am editing my last Shoots Photos. I was wondering how often one should change there cards, and if extended use of the cards will cause noise? I was thinking about the old days when cassette tape would only be played so many times before we had to break down and purchase new ones. I assume that is the same with the CF Cards or for that fact any memory card. Can any of you veterans Shed a bit of light on this subject for me. I am about 55,000 photos into this canon 50D and I know the accommodation for service is 100,000 shots. I have never cleaned the sensor but this seems to be more like memory loss more than dirt or anything else. Thank you for taking time to check this post and for your replies.

Jeff Frazell Photography

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #91911 by MLKstudios
Do you ever FORMAT your cards?

Matthew

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 10 months ago #91915 by ozman1865

MLKstudios wrote: Do you ever FORMAT your cards?

Matthew

Matthew, No I have never formated them can you explain the benefit to doing this. I have shot these cards from the beginning with out format. I usually shoot my sessions in two formats at the same time. The largest Raw file and the Second larges Jpg file. editing from the large raw and using jpg to give to client with the unedited photos and converted raw to jpg also. if I need to do this I can just never gave it a thought prior to this question.

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #91919 by MLKstudios
You NEED to format a card now and then. I do after every shoot.

What it does is create a new file directory, which considers the entire card "writable". If you delete images instead, and don't format, you end up with many pockets of space where bits and pieces of your files get written.

You'll find FORMAT in the camera's menu. Always format in camera, not using a PC (or any external device).

Matthew

FYI digital cameras use a modified version of DOS for file management.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 10 months ago #91921 by ozman1865
Thank you Matthew. I will give this a shot and see how it comes out....... I had read about formatting but never added it to my routine. I will change my ways and start doing that from now on. So with this light on the subject do you believe that is a big part of my problem with the extra noise in my Photos? and is there still a recommended length of service for a card?

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #91923 by MLKstudios
As for the noise... it could have something to do with it. Life expectancy depends on how many times you "wash" it.

;)

PS I replace them when their price goes down. Got a bunch of fast Lexar 8GB's using a rebate.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 10 months ago #91925 by ozman1865
That sounds like a smart shopper idea. LOL thanks for the info and I will see if that will help me with the noise.

12 years 10 months ago #91939 by chasrich
I'm not sure but I don't think the card can be the source of the noise.

I have some knowledge of computers and the dynamics in writing and reading data from different media. Typically, a file is written and then verified. In addition there is a CRC (cyclical redundancy check) character written at the end of the file. When a file is later read perhaps on a different device it can check the accuracy by computing the CRC and then matching it to the files version.

Now, the question remains about the CF card and file protocol for cameras. I hope someone can verify this for us.

By all means format.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago #91945 by ozman1865

chasrich wrote: I'm not sure but I don't think the card can be the source of the noise.

I have some knowledge of computers and the dynamics in writing and reading data from different media. Typically, a file is written and then verified. In addition there is a CRC (cyclical redundancy check) character written at the end of the file. When a file is later read perhaps on a different device it can check the accuracy by computing the CRC and then matching it to the files version.

Now, the question remains about the CF card and file protocol for cameras. I hope someone can verify this for us.

By all means format.

Thank you for your input here. I have formatted two of the Cards and I will be shooting a few shots when I get up in the morning for Fathers day as the kids will all be around I should be able to tell whether or not reformat helped with the noise. But With your explanation I believe once I get them loaded into the computer files for edit I might still see the same issue. I will update once I have checked to see if there was any change to my noise problem. In the mean time I will keep using my fabulous topaz denoise and keep the photos sharp. I sure love the full line of topaz was a very good investment I believe. Thanks again for the input

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #91955 by MLKstudios
One problem with cards I have experienced is during transfer from card to computer, some data can get lost. But, it usually results in much more than a bit of extra noise. Everything gets "whacked".

Matthew :)

PS even if formatting doesn't help, it is still something you need to do.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #91971 by Baydream

chasrich wrote: I'm not sure but I don't think the card can be the source of the noise.

By all means format.

:agree: Formatting. unlike love, never hurts. It will "fix" a bad spot on the card. Often the CFC error is in the card reader. See if a friend has another reader you can use or buy one (about $20). I have seen some comments about Sandisk cards and certain readers.
I have used the same CF cards (several brands) for 5 years with no errors (reformat about every second or third "clear"). Good luck.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #95885 by HawaiiGuy
This was a interesting thread to read :thumbsup:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024