Creating fine-art quality black-and-white images is often a challenge for photographers at all skill levels. Hobbyists and enthusiasts view the process as too complex and many professionals as too time-consuming. With a reputation for serving more than 22 million customers worldwide and its products being ranked among the top 10 in the paid photography category on the Mac App Store, Macphun Software set out to tackle those challenges. Their new Tonality app, which is available in standard or Pro form, makes black-and-white photography easier for everyone.
The standard version of Tonality is still the best choice for casual, hobbyist and amateur photographers who want to give their monochrome images a pro-like quality. Tonality was developed to be a standalone software sold on the Mac App Store with a powerful suite of tools that are user-friendly, require little or no learning curve and allow the point-and-shooter and entry-level DSLR photographer to quickly create outstanding black-and-white images.
Tonality Pro is part of Macphun Software’s effort to develop enhanced versions of all its software products for serious amateurs and professionals who need finer control of the black-and-white process. They have the option of using Tonality Pro as a plug-in to Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom or Apple Aperture, fully integrating it with a pro’s digital workflow.
As a general rule, Tonality works best with RAW files smaller than 40 MP while Tonality Pro has the extra horsepower to make it easy for pros to work with much larger RAW files. In either case, millions of photographers have discovered that either version of Tonality exceeds their expectations and allows them to create fine art black-and-white images that are the envy of their photo buddies and demanded by their clients.
Hobbyists may first be blown away by the vast array of tools and controls they’ll find in Tonality, but Macphun Software made sure it is very intuitive to select and apply presets, textures and other creative applications, and often with a single click. Even though Tonality is meant for the casual enthusiast, it has the same proprietary 16-bit RAW processing engine as Tonality Pro.
Both Tonality and Tonality Pro deliver all of these key features:
• Professional image quality with proprietary 16-bit RAW processing engine
• Advanced algorithms and a streamlined user experience for superior results
• Scores of inspiring professional presets provide a wide range of one-click image styles
• Built-in organic-style overlay textures, plus user-loadable textures, for incredible creativity
• Unique adaptive exposure and smart contrast tools for advanced tone control
• Multiple effect layers, each with separate opacity controls
• Adjustable, pressure-sensitive brushes and masking tools for precise selective edits
• Advanced clarity and structure detail controls yield dramatic results
• Proprietary grain engine with over 20 emulated film types
• Selective color using color channel sliders for unique stylistic expressions
• Glow, lens blur, vignette, photo frame and opacity controls for finishing touches
• Easy image sharing to popular social networks, and via email, instant messaging, AirDrop and SmugMug
• Macphun Print Lab services, powered by MILK
• Image export to other Macphun apps or Apple® iPhoto®, Apple® Aperture®, Adobe® Photoshop® or Adobe Photoshop Lightroom®
Tonality Pro was developed for the serious amateur or professional who demands more custom controls and tools, but also wants to work in an intuitive, streamlined environment. With additional layers, blending modes use of color source information by layer, Tonality Pro infuses the often stark look of a black-and-white image with more life, dimensionality and emotion, which is what every pro wants to deliver to their clients. Whether shooting portrait, wedding, nature, landscape, architecture, macro, sports and action, street life, commercial or fine art, Tonality Pro can make a difference in the final result.
Features unique to Tonality Pro include:
• A plug-in for Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Elements and Apple Aperture
• Advanced Layers functionality
• Blend Modes for layers
• Able to use source color from original image
• Higher maximum number of layers: 5 in standard and 8 in Pro
• Color Temperature tool
• Place Center for Vignette
• Histogram improvements
• Show histogram clippings
• Zone System (on histogram)
• Zoom navigator window
Tonality and Tonality Pro were developed for the Mac environment, utilizing OS 10.9 and above. Other important technical specifications include:
• Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
• 4GB RAM and more
• iMac/MacBook Pro/MacBook Air/Mac Pro/Mac Mini mid-2009 or later
Tonality is available exclusively on the Apple App Store. Tonality Pro is available as an ESD from www.macphun.com or on SD memory cards from resellers across the globe.
MacPhun Software has a comprehensive palette of other photo apps: FX Photo Studio, Intensify, Snapheal, Focus 2 and ColorStrokes, with Pro versions of Intensify, Snapheal and Focus 2. These apps are also bundled in Creative Kit with Intensify Pro and Snapheal Pro and Creative Kit Plus with Intensify Pro, Snapheal Pro, Focus 2 Pro and Tonality Pro. You’ll also find a lineup of apps for the iPhone – FX Photo Studio, ColorStrokes, Vintagio and Cartoonatic –with the first three also available for the iPad.
Your feedback is important to thousands of PhotographyTalk.com fans and us. If this article is helpful, then please click the Like and Re-Tweet buttons at the top left of this article.