1. The Nikon Coolpix L24 may be a palm-size compact camera, but it packs a 14-megapixel sensor and 3.6x optical Zoom-NIKKOR glass lens with a 37–134mm focal-length range. The L24 also records 640x480 video at 30 fps. One of the L24’s features that owners like is the large, 3-inch LCD screen on the back. It’s easy to see your scene or subject, even on a sunny day, which makes it significantly superior to comparable compacts from other manufacturers. The Nikon Coolpix L24 is also an excellent camera for anyone new to digital photography. The camera has a built-in help system that is easy to navigate and clearly indicates the purpose of each menu setting. The Nikon Coolpix L24 retails for $119.95.
2. The Nikon Coolpix S3100 was design and built to be your constant companion, making it easy to record whatever happens throughout your day and night. At 0.8 inches thick and weighing just 4.2 ounces, it fits everywhere and goes everywhere. The S3100’s portability is complemented by its performance, with a 14-megapixel sensor, 5x wide-angle optical-zoom NIKKOR glass lens, 2.7-inch LCD and 720p HD movies with sound. More than a fun-focused point-and-shoot, the Coolpix S3100 has the high quality capabilities that result in better quality images. For example, it includes a video record button, which is seldom found on cameras at this price point. The Nikon Coolpix S3100 is priced at $139.95.
3. The Nikon Coolpix S4000 is another Nikon compact that goes wherever your life takes you. Its 12-megapixel sensor, 4x wide-angle Zoom-NIKKOR glass lens and 720p HD video at 30fps will help you capture all your fun with family and friends. What makes this so easy is the Coolpix S4000’s 3-inch, high-resolution, touch-sensitive LCD screen. One of its many functions is Touch Shutter. Frame a photo and then touch any point. The camera sets the photo’s focus according to that point and then automatically shoots. Some photographers have reported that they can take a picture faster with Touch Shutter than a much more expensive DSLR camera. The Nikon Coolpix S4000 can be purchased for $179.95.
4. The Nikon Coolpix S4100 was released during 2011, and is an upgraded version of the S4000. The sensor has been increased to 14 megapixels and the S4100 now sports a 5x optical zoom with a 26–130mm focal-length range that scores high on sharpness and color accuracy. Nikon was smart to retain the 3-inch, touch-sensitive LCD screen and 720p HD movie recording. Nikon’s Smart Photo System is another feature of the S4100 that attracts many consumers. Compose great-looking portraits of your friends and, when you ask them to smile, the Smart Photo mode reads their smiles and takes a picture automatically. All these features and more are yours on the Nikon Coolpix S4100 for just $179.95.
5. The Nikon Coolpix S5100 is the perfect gift for a teenager or anyone that will appreciate its small size and wide array of fun-shooting features. The S5100 includes a 12.2-megapixel CCD sensor and a 5x wide-angle Optical Zoom-NIKKOR glass lens. Its 26–140mm focal-length range allows you to go wide angle to include more people in the frame or zoom in tight to the details. Anyone new to digital video will find it easy to record movies with the S5100. Simply press the video record button and the camera automatically starts the movie-making fun regardless of what mode may have been previously selected. Many experts rate the Coolpix S5100 as one of the best compacts for picture sharpness, which makes it well worth its $179.95 price tag.
6. The Nikon Coolpix S6100 is another new compact for 2011. It’s almost difficult to believe you can buy a camera with a 16-megapixel CCD sensor and a 7x wide-angle Optical Zoom-NIKKOR ED glass lens with a 28–196mm focal length for less than $200. Not only does it shoot 720p HD video with the touch of one button, but also you can quickly view your movie on your HDTV or computer with the built-in HDMI port. Since its release, reviewers are singing the praises of the S6100’s impressive image quality and great selection of shooting modes. It also has Nikon’s touch-screen LCD technology and an in-camera Picture Editing mode. The Nikon Coolpix S6100 is a power-packed performer at just $199.95.
Your feedback is important to thousands of PhotographyTalk.com fans and us. If this article is helpful, then please click the Like and Re-Tweet buttons at the top left of this article.
Images from imaging.nikon.com © 2011 Nikon Corporation