Do you think film photography could ever have a come back?

12 years 9 months ago #108740 by The Time Capturer

Stealthy Ninja wrote: In a generation most people won't even know what film is. It is like kids these days not knowing what a record is. Film will go the same route...

What's a record? :dry:

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 8 months ago #123172 by Stealthy Ninja

The Time Capturer wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: In a generation most people won't even know what film is. It is like kids these days not knowing what a record is. Film will go the same route...

What's a record? :dry:

Precisely.
12 years 8 months ago #123209 by Jamie
I'd be willing to bet just about everything I own that film photography will never make a "comeback"... But, just in case it does, I'm just kidding. ;)

PhotographyTalk Users enjoy 15% OFF at www.photobacks.com !
Use: PHT843 at checkout!

12 years 8 months ago #123218 by Stealthy Ninja

Jamie@Photobacks wrote: I'd be willing to bet just about everything I own that film photography will never make a "comeback"... But, just in case it does, I'm just kidding. ;)

Hipsters still love it I hear. :p :whistle:
12 years 8 months ago #123227 by robbie
There are diehards who have hundreds rolls of film in the freezer but I can`t see it coming back,my film camera is somewhere in the house.I gave away my Ir films last year,the color ones in the garbage.

12 years 8 months ago #123267 by Henry Peach
I guess it also depends on what you mean by comeback. I was assuming it meant Joe & Jane Nonphotographer who were 95+% of film sales. They aren't giving up their cell phone cams. It's not going to come back anywhere near what it's usage was in the last quarter of the 20th century, but I think it will be available for quite a while.

@Karl, the problem with the old "digital makes photographers lazy" canards is that the real problem is with the photographer and not the process. If they can't summon up the self discipline to "become involved" with the scene they are never going to progress beyond passionate beginner whatever technology they choose. :)
12 years 8 months ago #123353 by The Time Capturer
Maybe they'll come up with a reusable digital film cartridge to be used in film cameras. Each frame on the "negative strip" would be an image sensor and have its own memory. I guess that would be kinda pointless though.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 8 months ago #123437 by John Landolfi
Interesting and good post by Karl. As long as he and others mantain their resolve, film photography will endure, although I would guess its cost will keep increasing, and facilities for processing will be harder and harder to find. I still find many tangibles and intangibles that make me want to continue shooting film for my own satisfaction- many of the images in my albums are scans (dedicated scanner), although I use digital for commercial work and often when travelling, when a choice needs to be made between the two systems. And I use all the great lenses I acquired when shooting film on my Nikon D3. The contrast and bokeh of the 85mm f/1.4 is hard to match...

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #123520 by Joves
Well I dont think it will ever make a come back, it is dead as far as that goes. The technology is going to improve more in the coming years. Will film totally die off? No not in the near or long term future, but it will be someting that only the affluent can afford. So it will become a niche product.

12 years 8 months ago #123524 by Scotty
The fact that film is getting harder and harder to buy shows it's dying.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #123530 by Nesgirl9
Film never left the art world. However, film will not have a "comeback" - digital has taken over and research will be put into how to make digital imaging better. Some of my artwork is mostly on film. but, it's expensive. I like processing my own film. I like working in the darkroom and I miss it.

According to Huffington Post art value has risen in the last ten years, especially due to the economy. So, if you can shoot film (and still find rolls of good film) and like doing it, do it. I do.

12 years 8 months ago #123601 by icepics
Film is getting less mainstream and I think it will probably be more of a niche market rather than mass market. But as the saying goes, never say never - no sooner did Polaroid stop making Polaroids they started making them again. And since they stopped making Polaroid film along came the Impossible Project. (And records are back, if they ever completely left, although not commonplace - see Urban Outfitters, www.everybodysrecords.com or www.shakeitrecords.com .)

I don't think it has to be either-or (although a lot of people seem to see it that way). You can scan images from film into digital format and vice-versa, make negatives from digital images. I just saw info. about a workshop on converting digital images into tintypes. As much as digital technology has gotten popular there are a lot of photography techniques from the past being used again. There are a variety of processes available to use in creating images which I think it just gives us more options.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #123632 by Stealthy Ninja
It's just so hard to get film images onto Facebook. Know what I mean?!

So yeh like Henry (not his real name) said. It'll only make a comeback amongst diehard fans if anything.

I often think I'd like to try film again, but then I think of the wait time to see the images and give up the idea.
12 years 8 months ago #123737 by Gene.Culley
I don't think we will ever see it as the leader and primary way of taking photos for obvious reasons, but I don't think it will ever die either assuming film is made available to those who want it.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #123851 by Steven Swanson
Like it was back in the day? Not a chance

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024