I just don't get P, auto ISO, etc...

11 years 11 months ago #225674 by Henry Peach
So I read that Joe Buissink shoots on P all the time. He says P stands for "professional". :) I figure if it's good enough for him then I should try it out. So I had a wedding last weekend where I was constantly moving between indoors and outdoors. I decide that this was the perfect time to try P + auto ISO. So when I'm out in the bright sun the camera is choosing ISO 400 @ f/22. When I move indoors to dim lighting it picks ISO 100. I just don't get it. I tried, but it seems to me that the camera was picking the exact opposite settings as I would normally choose. My camera is dumb. I went back to manual.
11 years 11 months ago #225675 by mj~shutterbugg
:agree: :judge: :goodpost: The only time a camera of mine is in Auto or P is my family point and shoot for the kids. Working- it's all manual. I figure if the camera was intelligent enough to know what to do in every situation, there would be far less crappy Craig's List photog's.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

11 years 11 months ago #225685 by Vincent
I'm with you, I've tried using it and just don't get the purpose of it either. Personally I just keep my camera in manual or aperture priority.

Nikon D700 | 14-24mm f/2.8G ED | 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II | (2) SB-900
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #225689 by geoffellis
My question is... as a professional why would you choose a wedding to experiment with something like this?? That seems highly illogical to me...
11 years 11 months ago #225742 by KCook
What else did you expect from Canon? The only way I've been successful with Auto ISO on my 50D is in Tv mode. Of course this requires you to pick a shutter speed for yourself. Program mode is Ok, but really only works with a manual ISO selection.

propeller head

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 11 months ago #225746 by Scotty
I never use it. I'm either in A (Av for canon), or M.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #225749 by bmurray
As far as I was aware P is for programme, which means you can set it to your own requirements and be safe in knowing that when you go back to it it will retain your chosen settings.

B Murray
11 years 11 months ago #225771 by KCook
"P" is for Program. However, it's the camera's program, not one that you have set. If you set the ISO, fine, the Program mode will stick to that ISO. But Program mode auto sets both aperture and shutter speed with each shot. Some cameras have an AE Lock control that may override this, but that is not common to all cameras.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 11 months ago #225797 by Joves
I am another who tried it once with my D80 and did not like it at all. Have not used it since. The settings were never what I would choose myself and with the D80 would over expose. With my D300 I tried the Auto ISO and it plain stunk in my opinion, it would choose speeds I would not generally use in dim lighting. I pretty much shoot M or A, and A very rarely.

11 years 11 months ago #225836 by Little Kate
Same here, just never clicked with me either. I think you can have better shutter and aperture control, but I don't like when the camera makes suggest ISO recommendations.

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #225846 by Darrell
I use A or M only. I did think that p was a combination of S and A. If you adjusted. Fstop than camera picked speed and vise versa, but like I said I don't use it. :beerbang:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #225898 by Henry Peach

geoffellis wrote: My question is... as a professional why would you choose a wedding to experiment with something like this?? That seems highly illogical to me...

After 20+ years with a camera set to manual in my hands everyday it doesn't take me much time or effort to run one. There was no danger that my experiment would result in missed shots. It's not like I had to wait until i got home to see it wasn't working, and then i just went back to manual.

They charge me an arm and a leg for this fancy gear. These features are supposed to be useful.
11 years 11 months ago #225936 by KCook

They charge me an arm and a leg for this fancy gear. These features are supposed to be useful.

I'm in full agreement. At a minimum they should provide a set of different AE profiles for us to pick from. They already provide preset Picture Styles. How difficult would it be to provide preset AE profiles as well???

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 11 months ago #226037 by Sandy Smith Photos
Seems to close to auto for me, I'll stick with manual or aperture priority too.

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #226047 by mattmoran

KCook wrote:

I'm in full agreement. At a minimum they should provide a set of different AE profiles for us to pick from. They already provide preset Picture Styles. How difficult would it be to provide preset AE profiles as well???

Kelly

Isn't that what the picture modes are? AE with a hint to the camera about the subject (and thus the preferred settings)?

Personally I wish my camera had 4 dials: shutter, aperture, iso and white balance. Each dial should have an "A" for "Auto" if you want the camera to pick that particular setting.

But I've never seen a DSLR with such a sensible layout.

-Matt

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024