Expensive gear vs Talent

10 years 2 weeks ago #367115 by Jim Photo

Stealthy Ninja wrote: He's not 100% wrong. Sometimes you need a special piece of equipment to get a certain shot.

However, you need the talent to be able to use said equipment to get that shot.

It actually goes both ways.

Exactly, it's a delicate balance between the two

Photo Comments
10 years 2 weeks ago #367255 by Jacko
With out talent, your expensive camera is squat 

Photo Comments
10 years 2 weeks ago #367793 by Joves

garyrhook wrote:

Joves wrote: ...and use things to make themselves feel more impotent.

Wait...what? :blink:

What you have never used the word impotent instead of important to make an example of a certain type of person? On many construction sites we do it all the time, to describe the bosses pet. Well at least one of the things I can use in the forums.

effron wrote: My suggestion to the OP is unplug from farcebook. This is an almost weekly lame subject....:S

:rofl:
Yeah which is why I call it Disgracebook myself.

10 years 1 week ago #368133 by Drew Fletcher
Well, at the end of the day.  I'll take talent over any expensive gear.  I know that's not the question, but that's what I'm saying seeing that there are so many good answers already. 

Nikon D700 | 24-70mm | 14-24mm | 105mm
Photo Comments
10 years 1 week ago - 10 years 1 week ago #368415 by Stealthy Ninja

Joves wrote:

garyrhook wrote:

Joves wrote: ...and use things to make themselves feel more impotent.

Wait...what? :blink:

What you have never used the word impotent instead of important to make an example of a certain type of person? On many construction sites we do it all the time, to describe the bosses pet. Well at least one of the things I can use in the forums.

effron wrote: My suggestion to the OP is unplug from farcebook. This is an almost weekly lame subject....:S

:rofl:
Yeah which is why I call it Disgracebook myself.

Well you're all very impotent to me.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Joves
10 years 1 week ago #368709 by James Sencil
I can best illustrate my opinion with an archer and his bow and arrow. Without the archer, the tools are useless even how expensive and how sturdy they are. With less talent, you can never hit your bulls eye. On the other hand, it is a per-requisite to have a good shot is to have the best bow and arrow. At the end of the day, it is not Talent VERSUS Gear, but Talent AND Gear!

9 years 10 months ago #377431 by Ottis
Talent will always supersede any gear you could have in your bag 

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #386061 by Howard T
I don't pay much attention to gear talks.  But like most here, I do believe talent will exceed most expensive camera situations

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #386166 by ubookoo
I have had an opportunity to work with some amazing photographers and they all have one thing in common...a natural talent to view the image in their mind before they shoot it. Or what most people like to call an "eye" for photography. One of the greatest photographers I worked with did not understand aperture or F stop. But she created some of the most beautiful images by using natural like and placement of her subjects. Her average sale is in the $5000 to $10,000 range. She could use a pinhole camera and create awesome shots!

9 years 9 months ago #386239 by Stealthy Ninja

ubookoo wrote: I have had an opportunity to work with some amazing photographers and they all have one thing in common...a natural talent to view the image in their mind before they shoot it. Or what most people like to call an "eye" for photography. One of the greatest photographers I worked with did not understand aperture or F stop. But she created some of the most beautiful images by using natural like and placement of her subjects. Her average sale is in the $5000 to $10,000 range. She could use a pinhole camera and create awesome shots!

Who?

I  mean there's some popular photographers out there who aren't very good, they're just popular.  I'd love to see this woman's work so I can judge for myself. :)
9 years 9 months ago #386296 by IzzieK
I will take the expensive gear road here...at least if I do not have the talent (yet) I can learn...ha! If I can have the money to spend for expensive gears there is no reason not to be able to afford learning to be talented. Photography and playing the piano are to be learned. We are not born to it.

9 years 9 months ago #386304 by Stealthy Ninja

IzzieK wrote: If I can have the money to spend for expensive gears...

"gear" in this case is a collective noun and has no "s" on the end:

Expensive Gears:

Expensive (photography) gear:
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #386307 by william_cpa
As I always say, just think what a great photographer Ansel Adams would have been or Henri Cartier-Bresson if only they had access to a D800 for example. Their lives would have been turned around completely.
9 years 9 months ago #386312 by Stealthy Ninja

william_cpa wrote: As I always say, just think what a great photographer Ansel Adams would have been or Henri Cartier-Bresson if only they had access to a D800 for example. Their lives would have been turned around completely.

Henri Cartier-Bresson probably would prefer a Leica M. But I see your point.
9 years 9 months ago #386444 by IzzieK
Can't I have a typo around here? Sorry English is not my first language.:(

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

IzzieK wrote: If I can have the money to spend for expensive gears...

"gear" in this case is a collective noun and has no "s" on the end:

Expensive Gears:

Expensive (photography) gear:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024