How are you focusing when you have your camera directly on the ground?

9 years 1 month ago #432359 by Moossmann
I'm trying this online assignment where you take photos from a different perspective.  And todays assignment is down low.  Setting the camera on the ground and looking through the view finder to focus is a bit tough.  Anyone know a trick to this?  

thanks!

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #432361 by stuartsbarbie
If your camera has an LCD screen that can help.  I personally don't feel I get as much control using the screen, but sometimes we have to make due with what we have. 

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #432364 by Robert Chen
I want to say it's hoodman that has a 90 degree elbow for your view finder.  

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #432399 by garyrhook
I will either (a) lie on the ground in whatever way I need to, or (b) use the articulated screen on my D5100 (despite the fact that some view that feature as unprofessional) with Live View to frame and focus. I really like the idea of the hoodman, too.

Whatever it takes. What's a little dirt?

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #432522 by Joves
On my belly, head turned sideways. I will keep doing that until I either cannot get back up easily, or my neck gets too stiff.

9 years 1 month ago #432525 by Screamin Scott
Right angle finder if need be...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #432704 by hghlndr6
You mean like this?  Just lie prone & get dirty.  It ain't difficult. ;)
That 90º finder is a good idea though.  Will have to check that out.

_DSC3994.jpg by hghlndr6 , on Flickr
9 years 1 month ago #432729 by Tim Entin
:agree:  +1 prone position on the ground with my head tilted to see through the viewfinder  

9 years 1 month ago #432849 by Tim Dordeck
Time to get down on the ground, and move your body into what ever position you need to in order to view.

Photo Comments
9 years 4 weeks ago #432913 by Frost Photography
It's pricey, but these 90 degree elbows are a miracle when you don't want to lay down on the ground

www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home...&is=USA&Q=&A=details

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
9 years 4 weeks ago #432932 by garyrhook
WOW. "Pricey" is right. I'd rather get dirty.

Photo Comments
9 years 4 weeks ago #432990 by Joves
:rofl:  :agree:
Yeah pretty much. I can wash my clothes till they are shot over paying that for convenience. I should try making one myself. I have a bunch of optical flats, and prisms I could play with.

9 years 4 weeks ago #433014 by Shadowfixer1
I place my camera on a monopod, turn it upside down, and place the top of the camera on my foot down low and control it via WIFI on my iPhone. You can make all adjustments for exposure and then touch the screen where you want the focus to be and it will focus on that spot and take the picture. That won't work for most people because of the camera they have. The same goes for a high vantage point. Extend the monopod and hold it up in the air and control with the iPhone.
9 years 4 weeks ago #433019 by Baydream
I use the articulated viewfinder and LiveView. Getting too old to get down there. Well, it's actually the getting up that's hard. 

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024