Shooting candids with on camera flash

9 years 2 weeks ago #434797 by Jakov Barnes
For those of you that shoot candid portraits with the flash on the camera, are you using any sort of flash diffuser or just the naked flash head?  I have tried a few of them and always seem to come back to just a bouncing the light off a wall or ceiling.  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #434810 by Stanly
 I've tried a couple of the domes on the market and never really got them.  I'm a simple guy and just use either a bounce card or just bounce off the ceiling or wall too. 

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #434818 by Cathy Kadolph
The crappy part about most of the flash modifiers is that they really don't help at all and destroy the power on your flash.  I'll use bare flash as much as I can.  

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once you grow up." Pablo Picasso
Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #434835 by effron
As important as a modifier is knowing when and how to reduce the flash's power. I can't remember the last time I shot any speedlight or on camera flash at, or even close to full power.....:dry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #434842 by Kenta
Speaking of which, which modifier robs you the least?  (Least light reduction?)

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #434851 by garyrhook
I would suggest the Graslon diffuser and flash compensation to dial back the power.

Photo Comments
9 years 2 weeks ago #435200 by Kenya See
Bounce cards for me

Photo Comments
9 years 1 week ago #435306 by Kenya See

garyrhook wrote: I would suggest the Graslon diffuser and flash compensation to dial back the power.

I just looked these up, which one do you have?

Photo Comments
9 years 1 week ago #435504 by GWS
Next on my to-buy-list 

Photo Comments
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #435552 by Screamin Scott
Gary Fong's units waste too much light (power)... I use a"Demb DFD PRO" unit. It's like a "Better Bounce card" but it also offers some diffusion and minimal light loss. That said, I do ,too often, buy many different, inexpensive flash modifiers to try out. .. Here's a link to the Demb unit

www.dembflashproducts.com/products/flash-diffuser/

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 1 week ago #435553 by Screamin Scott
Like you Ernest, I also shoot at different power levels, especially when shooting macro. I rarely shoot in any "auto" type mode... Old habits die hard.

effron wrote: As important as a modifier is knowing when and how to reduce the flash's power. I can't remember the last time I shot any speedlight or on camera flash at, or even close to full power.....:dry:

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 1 week ago #435566 by garyrhook

Kenya See wrote:

garyrhook wrote: I would suggest the Graslon diffuser and flash compensation to dial back the power.

I just looked these up, which one do you have?

I have the Spark, which was quite impressive, but acquired a speedlite shortly after that (as I learned about using flash). I would suggest the Prodigy any day, but either will work better than most of what's out there.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024