Is photography a viable job/career these days?

4 months 1 day ago #760344 by isabellasophie
I have no idea as I am just an enthusiast.
But it seems with the internet, dwindling print media and so on, there does not seem many opportunities for young people now.
I guess you could carve out a niche business in weddings,portraiture, product photography etc, but you need business skills and cash to do this.
I ask this because I was chatting to a friend who is a veteran journalist who in recent times is expected to take photos as well. He is a lousy photographer, plus they issue very entry level equipment, he is pulling the pin and becoming a high school teacher.

4 months 1 day ago - 4 months 1 day ago #760345 by isabellasophie

isabellasophie wrote: I have no idea as I am just an enthusiast.
But it seems with the internet, dwindling print media and so on, there does not seem many opportunities for young people now.
I guess you could carve out a niche business in weddings Photographer Matt Roberts ,portraiture, product photography etc, but you need business skills and cash to do this.
I ask this because I was chatting to a friend who is a veteran journalist who in recent times is expected to take photos as well. He is a lousy photographer, plus they issue very entry level equipment, he is pulling the pin and becoming a high school teacher.

thanks in advance for any help

4 months 8 hours ago #760390 by LensofNature
I am also a hobbyist, but started my own business in another field, and went through self-employment training. My business didn't get off the ground, but from what I learned from self-employment training, the key is to have a viable business idea and unique selling point of differentiation. I am assuming that most photographers who want to be employed in the field are focused on taking photos, so the competition is fierce. At the same time, photo editing software and the digital nature of photography can satisfy the needs of recreational photographers.

However, I believe the key to a successful business in photography is thinking outside the box - looking at areas that are lacking, needs that are not met. For example, many years ago, I booked a personal tour guide-cum-photographer as part of my vacation because I don't have a car, am female and don't feel safe venturing into the wilderness/nature trails alone. It was a wonderful experience, and he even showed me a fossil etched into a rock that not many people knew about. In most recent years, I registered for a day trip offered by a photography instructor which included a carpool to the location, and onsite coaching of achieving the correct exposure. These are the kinds of services that would be very much appreciated by amateurs like me who have additional barriers such as disability and lack of access to transportation. Interestingly enough, there is such a scarcity of such photography businesses.

4 months 7 hours ago #760391 by Razky

LensofNature wrote: ...  there is such a scarcity of such photography businesses.

i believe there are plenty of photography workshops out there, who would serve the purpose you suggest..

4 months 7 hours ago #760392 by LensofNature

Razky wrote:

LensofNature wrote: ...  there is such a scarcity of such photography businesses.

i believe there are plenty of photography workshops out there, who would serve the purpose you suggest..

Not in my area; I've searched high and low.  Maybe it's a post-COVID thing.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024