Did you order a new MacBook Pro with M1 Pro or Max?

2 years 6 months ago #726413 by Prago
Damn, these things are expensive!  I hope the $$ is justified with crazy performance.  What configuration did you go with?  Kind of hard to purchase as I don’t know which processor and number of cores I should get.  I’ll be doing lots of photo editing with Photoshop and Lightroom and using on an external monitor.  

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
2 years 3 months ago #731645 by r1ch
No. I purchased a PC around black friday, 2 years ago when the M1 came out I bought a HP OMEN - 15.6" Gaming Laptop - AMD Ryzen 7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti   It was $849  AMD Ryzen 7 4800H was just as fast if not faster than the M1 in some test because it has 8 processors plus another 8 virual processor (16 threads of execution) It also had a video card that could play top tier games, no M1 could do that. It has 120 refresh rate monitor with accurate color reproduction and bright screen, not quite as good as the mac M1  It was not as energy efficient but compared to a $3k. But you could add your own memory it had another nvme drive bay. I am very happy with it.

Fast forward to now. You can get a similar Ryzen 5800h for $999. Now Intel has already produced a laptop chip faster than the M1 Max. Intel and AMD will only get better and once the start producing chips at the same manometer process, the will build faster systems than the M1 that are almost as good for a half to third the price.

M1 is a great achievement for Mac and no one can take that away but even you said how expensive they are. But Intel already has a faster processor. So.. I can buy a new PC laptop every year for the next 3 years or say every other year for the next 6 years and get the latest tech. You will be stuck with the M1Max for the next 3 to 6 years. I hope the "crazy performance" justify the cost for you.

2 years 2 weeks ago #737013 by JaneK
I sure did, I should have mine mid May.  I got the M1 Max with 32GB RAM and 2 TB hard drive.  

Photo Comments
2 years 1 week ago #737651 by Colorado Mike
I went with the M1 Max, not that I really had the budget, but more so to future proof my computer just a little bit. 

Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #738536 by JaneK
Update: this computer is FAST!  Super fast and everything what I was hoping for.  Just to let the universe know.  :P

Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #738577 by lightcapture
I'm on my 4th iMac since 1996. I purchase one w/ a good processor, but not necessarily the best. Plus I get about 2x the HD capacity I'm using now. The key is to get the most Ram available for your model as that have your computer more usable into the future as technology and requirements advance.

1 year 10 months ago #740185 by Chester Foster
If you don't absolutely need right now, I would wait till fall time for M2 processors 

1 year 9 months ago #741124 by Gump
Got a Max

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Latest Articles

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024