What might I need to do a Wedding??

12 years 2 months ago #208399 by Shadowfixer1
It's obvious that a fast lens would help, but it's not worth the money to either buy one or even rent one. If you're not making money from a gig, I wouldn't spend money on anything except the flash and it's accessories. A person needs this stuff anyway. I wasn't getting into whether to do the wedding or not since that decision has already been made, so I tried to give basic advice that would make the venture somewhat successful and give her a fighting chance to pull it off. Shooting a wedding can be fun but it is pressure packed and I'm always wiped out when it's over. You couldn't pay me enough to do it full time. Well maybe you could, but I wouldn't be cheap.:rofl:
12 years 2 months ago #208404 by icepics
Good one Randy. I wouldn't want to shoot a wedding, I'd sooner have someone shoot hockey pucks at me. :lol: Oh yeah, I have had someone shoot pucks at me - from the other side of the glass that is (during practice players aim at any moving target).

But really, not having photographed a wedding, I wouldn't have a clue. At least being clear about expectations as mentioned could help keep things realistic.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #208419 by CONRAD
WOW
Good luck on this
You have a lot of good advice
After you do this wedding you will know how much real work it is. You are already spending a lot of time and soon money getting flashes and did anyone tell you to bring a mono pod if not you need one.
I have done a lot of weddings more than 300 in my time and I never would shoot a friends wedding and I would tell them that I want to party at there wedding not work. All but one understood and found someone to do the JOB

PS
you will do fine

Conrad
12 years 2 months ago #208423 by mklinejr
I got my start in wedding photography kind of the same way ... my cousin asked me to do it for her, had the same kinda lenses that you have now. execpt I used an N80 Nikon and Portra Film.

Get a Flash and an off camera bracket to get it higher and learn to use it before the wedding.

I have a shot list that I use if you PM me with your email I will send it to you. I only use it as a guide to keep me on track cause I tend to get off track when i see "shiny things" if you know what I mean.

If you are the main photographer make sure that you are assertive with what you want and need from the attendants dont ask to many questions about what they want (day of wedding always ask before) direct them to suit you and the lighting (cause it wont be good at all)

GOOD LUCK

Life is much more managable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffet
12 years 2 months ago #208425 by mklinejr
I mean the lighting wont be good at all (at least from my experience)

you can do it

Life is much more managable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffet
12 years 2 months ago #208555 by crystal

Darrell wrote: This is one of the many great things about this Forum, you hear back from so many people, with several different ideas and ways of looking at things. After rereading my post, I hope I did not come accross as attacking Crystal, that was not my intent. Cheers to Crystal :beerbang: and PT :beerbang:

It's ok Darrell. We all have our opinions, which can make for an interesting conversation. :) What I said wasn't for attacking her, it was for helping her. I just say what I mean in the wrong way sometimes. I'm just too blunt. :)
12 years 2 months ago #208681 by TheNissanMan
My 2p and I'm afraid I am going to sound horrible but I will try and justify why.

I have been asked to do numerous close friends weddings from people seeing the photo's I have taken and knowing I love photography, but, I have always point blank refused for numerous reasons.

No matter how experienced, or inexperienced your may feel unless you are 100% confident that you can produce satisfactory images to match your friends expectations of someone with a DSLR the risk of alienating your friend on their special day is astronomical and not worth the risk (unless they're not that good friends and you wouldn't mind them not talking to you).

A wedding is (or at least should be) a once in a life time event, if they want to save money by not paying an experienced photographer it maybe becasue they have seen some of the better images people have taken. What they do not see is the amount we have thrown away to get those, we don't have a second chance on their special day and turning around saying I didn't get any I was happy with or here's what I got and the shots not matching they're expectations is not an option.

If you need to ask what do I need or might need to do a wedding then in my opinion you are not ready to do a wedding, it is a massive step, even as a friend, where you need to have a full understanding of every piece of equipment you have available and in which circumstances to use it.

Another point is that the large majority of wedding togs will have insurance, should something go wrong and someone get injured or damage occured due to your equipment do you have the cover, I appreciate it is a friends wedding but am guessing you are not friends with everyone on the invite list! With the states being well known to havea litagous nature is it a risk that is worth taking.

A bit of a lengthy reply but if it were my friend I would be there as such, no camera, just a suit, a smile and simple reassurance.

Wedding photography is not something to be taken lightly at any level.

If you do choose to do it I wish you the very best of luck and look forward to seeing the photo's...

The following user(s) said Thank You: crystal
12 years 2 months ago #208781 by Rob pix4u2
Hey Marcie I wish you all the best in this endevour and agree with the advice you have been given so far. Get a flash for each body and a bracket to get the flash off of the lens axis. Check out a book by George Shaub called PROFESSIONAL TECHNIQUES FOR THE WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER and study it. It's not that you can't do this but you just have to be super prepared. It's a lot of work and make sure you have a signed contract with the couple so that all of the expectations are laid out with nothing to chance. Set aside an hour and a half for the formal portraits after the ceremony so you won't feel rushed. PM me if you have more questions and I will try to help as much as I can so you will be ready when the day arrives.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 2 months ago #208976 by LovePhotography
I am okay with ALL the advice that I have been given and I will take it to heart – I am going to be taking pictures anyways that is what I do. It will help me from crying. My Best Friend has told me that there are a few shots that she wants to get and the rest she does not care about.

IN HER WORDS:

Relax! First of all , I'm not hiring you because I think you're a professional photographer. If I wanted someone who would do touch ups and all that extra stuff I would pay big bugs and get a professional. I know you take good pictures. Wendall is taking pictures too and so is Kelley. Kelley is not as good as you but she likes to take pictures. I will give you a list of what pictures I really want and the rest can be whatever you want to take. It will be fine. Please don't worry!!! And also your pictures will be taken with love! Can't beat that. Love you!

12 years 2 months ago #208987 by photobod

LovePhotography wrote: I am okay with ALL the advice that I have been given and I will take it to heart – I am going to be taking pictures anyways that is what I do. It will help me from crying. My Best Friend has told me that there are a few shots that she wants to get and the rest she does not care about.

IN HER WORDS:

Relax! First of all , I'm not hiring you because I think you're a professional photographer. If I wanted someone who would do touch ups and all that extra stuff I would pay big bugs and get a professional. I know you take good pictures. Wendall is taking pictures too and so is Kelley. Kelley is not as good as you but she likes to take pictures. I will give you a list of what pictures I really want and the rest can be whatever you want to take. It will be fine. Please don't worry!!! And also your pictures will be taken with love! Can't beat that. Love you!

Cant argue with those words
:beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :banana: :banana: :cheers: :cheers: :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :judge: :judge: :judge: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 2 months ago #209071 by mklinejr
:agree: :goodpost: :agree: :goodpost: :agree: :goodpost: :judge: :judge: :banana: :banana:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024