Im ready to build a website.... now what?

12 years 10 months ago #87629 by AP Photography63626
Ok, I am ready to take things to the next level and build a website online. I want to use said website for showcasing my work, helping people to contact me, scheduling shoots, holding private galleries for clients and a page where they can submit their orders.

Where do I start? Does anyone recomend a particular website that will assist in building a personal site? I've looked into vista, or webs online, but I would love to have some real opinions before I dive into this. Thanks so much!

:huh:

12 years 10 months ago #87635 by photobod
Zenfolio are a patron of this site you could start by looking there, several members use it also.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #87863 by dang
Hi,
Try weebly.com . You can use it for free, and upgrade to a Pro account later with your own domain name if wanted. The on-line site builder is among the best, including WYSIWYG editors... and SO much easier than hand coding. It has all the features required for taking orders, and has numerous templates to choose from. A big plus for a professional is it's not a "community" place like standard photo-hosting sites, yet a pro account costs about the same.

I highly recommend it.
:cheers:

Insanity: doing the same thing over, and over again expecting different results. (Albert Einstein)
www.dangphoto.weebly.com

12 years 10 months ago #87895 by mj~shutterbugg
I will give a 2nd shout to weebly.com I have my site through them.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 10 months ago #88715 by crystal

AP Photography63626 wrote: Ok, I am ready to take things to the next level and build a website online. I want to use said website for showcasing my work, helping people to contact me, scheduling shoots, holding private galleries for clients and a page where they can submit their orders.

Where do I start? Does anyone recomend a particular website that will assist in building a personal site? I've looked into vista, or webs online, but I would love to have some real opinions before I dive into this. Thanks so much!

:huh:

OK, a couple people mention weebly. I know nothing about them.
David mention Zenfolio and I agree as I use them.
Zen can give you everything you need. You can use it as a gallery, a place for people to contact, schedule shoots, have password protected galleries and people can order right off the site. If you are offering packages, you can put the packages on the site and the client can order Package A for $200. They order it, Zen will print/ship the package to the client.
You create your site using a template that is pretty customized. colors, layout, the way pictures look like (ie: pics can have frames, shadows etc.. all on the site itself)
12 years 10 months ago #89353 by Joves
I use Smugmug there is a Pro Level which allows you to have the prints made and delivered through them. You just set the price and they have it where you can set up galleries for your customers with password protection.

12 years 10 months ago #89785 by steveheap
I'm also a Smugmug user with a Pro account and I tend to upload my best images to the site and properly keyword and describe them. Although I am a bit passive in terms of selling prints (I'm more into stock photography), I did recently get an order out of the blue for $90 of prints of Warsaw. The site is very customizable, it has shopping carts for prints and digital downloads, and you can put it under your own URL. I'm not sure it would allow you to create a booking scheme for appointments though (although I have never investigated it). Here is my site: Fine Art Photography - Backyard Image

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 10 months ago #89919 by mj~shutterbugg
I started playing with Zenfolio. They are offering a free 2 wk trial. It is MUCH more customizable then Weebly.com. I am internet challenged, so I am finding it a bit tricky. It seems pretty similar to Weebly in features with a major exception- I am responsible for all customer service and fulfillment. However, I do not owe weebly any money besides what paypal takes out. I say try both, play around and see what you like.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024