Any regrets from moving to PC to Mac?

9 years 10 months ago #381817 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

TimGuyKing wrote: I didn't say Macs never crash. I said that mine has never crashed. I'm currently on a Macbook Pro which I've had for about 3 years, and during that time I have never had one complete system failure. Sure I've had to force-quit the occasional app, but never once has my system done the equivalent of a blue screen. It speaks volumes about PCs that their users find it so hard to believe a computer can be crash free! ;)

I use both. I got plenty of grey screens on death with Macs (kernel panics). This is with a mac pro and mac book pro. Very few blue screen of death with windows 7 and 8 (if fact I can't remember ever getting one since moving from Windows vista).

And my comment wasn't directed at you in particular.

Microsoft needs to get rid of registry to be honest.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #381849 by Screamin Scott
I've always been a PC guy.... Mac's were always too spendy... I have had very  few crashes on the PC's I've owned over the many years I've had them... But I'm a stickler for keeping my anti-virus & anti-malware programs up to date... Never had to take any PC in for repairs, always able to do any repairs or upgrades myself... Kinda like the old Triumph Spitfires & Austin Healy cars... They were great as long as you were the one making repairs to them...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #381854 by Scotty

Screamin Scott wrote: I've always been a PC guy.... Mac's were always too spendy... I have had very  few crashes on the PC's I've owned over the many years I've had them... But I'm a stickler for keeping my anti-virus & anti-malware programs up to date... Never had to take any PC in for repairs, always able to do any repairs or upgrades myself... Kinda like the old Triumph Spitfires & Austin Healy cars... They were great as long as you were the one making repairs to them...

I have no virus protection on my pc, haven't in 10 years and haven't had a virus.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #385283 by Scooter

Scotty wrote:

Screamin Scott wrote: I've always been a PC guy.... Mac's were always too spendy... I have had very  few crashes on the PC's I've owned over the many years I've had them... But I'm a stickler for keeping my anti-virus & anti-malware programs up to date... Never had to take any PC in for repairs, always able to do any repairs or upgrades myself... Kinda like the old Triumph Spitfires & Austin Healy cars... They were great as long as you were the one making repairs to them...

I have no virus protection on my pc, haven't in 10 years and haven't had a virus.

How do you manage this?

9 years 9 months ago #385300 by garyrhook

Scooter wrote:

Scotty wrote: I have no virus protection on my pc, haven't in 10 years and haven't had a virus.

How do you manage this?

I do not use antivirus software either. It's called "safe computing" and involves not wandering all over the interwebs going places you don't need to go.

The handful of mistakes I've made (getting unwanted malware) were due to (a) foolishly not reading the dang screen, or (b) foolishly letting my teenagers use my computer. Hijack This was helpful, as was having a dual boot system.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #385370 by ubookoo
We run both Mac's and Windows based PC's. By far our staff loves their Mac's for so many reasons. Like the advertisement says "They just Work".

9 years 9 months ago #385696 by Stealthy Ninja

garyrhook wrote:

Scooter wrote:

Scotty wrote: I have no virus protection on my pc, haven't in 10 years and haven't had a virus.

How do you manage this?

I do not use antivirus software either. It's called "safe computing" and involves not wandering all over the interwebs going places you don't need to go.

The handful of mistakes I've made (getting unwanted malware) were due to (a) foolishly not reading the dang screen, or (b) foolishly letting my teenagers use my computer. Hijack This was helpful, as was having a dual boot system.

I just got an email with an attached rar file from someone I don't know.  SHould I forward it to you?
9 years 9 months ago #385913 by Baydream
Beware that some of the older peripherals will not work on the Mac Lion. Unless you plan of buying new printers/scanners/ etc. check out the compatibility. Tried to help a new Mac Lion used with her Canon 3200F last night and it was a complete fail. Apple does not care if peripherals are  compatible. They expect all manufacturers to keep up to date with them even if Apple does not let the manufacturers see their code. Prepare to but new stuff with the Mac.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #385940 by garyrhook

Baydream wrote: Beware that some of the older peripherals will not work on the Mac Lion. Unless you plan of buying new printers/scanners/ etc. check out the compatibility. Tried to help a new Mac Lion used with her Canon 3200F last night and it was a complete fail. Apple does not care if peripherals are  compatible. They expect all manufacturers to keep up to date with them even if Apple does not let the manufacturers see their code. Prepare to but new stuff with the Mac.

It is usually the device manufacturer's responsibility to develop drivers. In the case of an older printer, there's not much incentive to add support on a new OS if the printer isn't still available for purchase. That device was released on 2009; that's a long time ago in the hardware business. I wouldn't provide drivers for it, either. And it hardly seems valid to claim that Apple doesn't let anyone see their code. They have to publish specs if they want to play well with others.

This is just an obsolescence issue.  I use a dual-boot system for precisely this reason, and still use XP.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #385978 by Joves

garyrhook wrote:

Baydream wrote: Beware that some of the older peripherals will not work on the Mac Lion. Unless you plan of buying new printers/scanners/ etc. check out the compatibility. Tried to help a new Mac Lion used with her Canon 3200F last night and it was a complete fail. Apple does not care if peripherals are  compatible. They expect all manufacturers to keep up to date with them even if Apple does not let the manufacturers see their code. Prepare to but new stuff with the Mac.

It is usually the device manufacturer's responsibility to develop drivers. In the case of an older printer, there's not much incentive to add support on a new OS if the printer isn't still available for purchase. That device was released on 2009; that's a long time ago in the hardware business. I wouldn't provide drivers for it, either. And it hardly seems valid to claim that Apple doesn't let anyone see their code. They have to publish specs if they want to play well with others.

This is just an obsolescence issue.  I use a dual-boot system for precisely this reason, and still use XP.

Well and Windows allows for rolling back to use the older peripherals in the compatibility for older drivers. Something that I believe that Apphole does not allow.
As to the subject of the thread itself. I went from Mac to Windows way back in the day. I liked the Windows OS over the Mac having had a Macintosh. I have used one since then when my dad bought a Mac, and I do not like it either in its new form.  And I have also not had any problems with my Win machine as far as crashes even in XP. The only time I got a virus was when the MSN servers got affected, and I logged in. They were the only network I could get in the area I was living at the time, well there was AOHell, but I would not use them myself.  

9 years 9 months ago #385995 by Scotty

garyrhook wrote:

Scooter wrote:

How do you manage this?

Spot on.  Also never download files under 2000 kb.  Most viruses are small.  Always download from reputable sites.  If a site has a comment section such as torrents (torrenting can be used legally, microsoft has used torrents for massive updates, and all illegal downloads are forbidden in discussion), read the comments.  They will talk about if the file is safe or not.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024