For C & C - Monte San Savino

10 years 1 month ago #361227 by Tuscan Muse
As many of you know, I am learning about post processing and I am enjoying experimenting.  What do you think of this?
Thanks for viewing! ( This is not to be confused with the expertise provided by our splendid Instructors at Tuscan Muse. I am just the host, who happens to love photography.)

10 years 4 weeks ago - 10 years 4 weeks ago #361493 by garyrhook
Good start.

I like: the composition, the alcove/stairs/walls/color, and your choice of including the arch in the upper right. The light is nicely dispersed as well.

The PP is pretty good. I like the details that you've exposed in the shadows, and the colors mostly remain natural. I do think the HDR-ness could be dialed back a bit; it comes across as overcooked to my eye. You're on the right track just pull back. I often find that applying an effect until it's obvious, then reducing it, can result in a more satisfying product. $0.02.

The thing that needs the most work are the highlights on the upper back wall/corner. They need taming as they attract the eye, but there's nothing there to look at. The wall should be no brighter than the area on the left around the window, if you can control it enough.

Finally: framing. I would have stepped back to get both potted plants fully into the shot, and to alleviate lens warp (which I don't care for here).  But I'm guessing that you had no room to do so :-) which I get.

So, for me: :thumbsup:  I like it.

Photo Comments
10 years 4 weeks ago #362039 by Tristan R
I love the shot, if I had any criticism to add, I would just say to pull back on the contrast just a little bit.  

Photo Comments
10 years 4 weeks ago #362047 by DSRay
:thumbsup:

I love this and would pretty much echo garyrhook's comments.

10 years 4 weeks ago #362079 by Tuscan Muse
Gary you are right- I couldn't step back any further.  Thank you all for taking the time to comment. It's great to have the wisdom of experience to turn to in these forums.  I posted this on a Google+ photography community and it is in the running for photo of the month, much to my surprise!
10 years 4 weeks ago #362325 by John Landolfi
Very Nice, Linda!
All intelligent comments have been made, so I'll just reiterate to use HDR when necessary, but not broadcast you have done so.:)

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tuscan Muse
10 years 3 weeks ago #363699 by Alex
Linda, bags are packed and I'm ready to go!  Seriously... looking at photos like this makes me want to jump on a plane to soak in the culture and architecture of places like this!  Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tuscan Muse
10 years 3 weeks ago #364839 by Overread
Pull back on the brightness for me, other than that, great shot

Photo Comments
10 years 3 weeks ago #364865 by Kim Chui
Nice shot. Love the place. Just work on your contrast a bit. 

10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #367341 by Nathaniel Witmer
work on your contrast and step back a bit for better framing.

10 years 2 weeks ago #367389 by KCook
If this is HDR, put that away and start the post over from scratch.  The tones for a scene such as this should not need any HDR.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 1 week ago #368613 by Chris Lee
nice tone. step back a bit.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024