Best focal length for PORTRAITS

10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #293206 by PhotographyTalk

10 years 4 months ago #325373 by vuladams
I thought this was going to be helpful to view, but it wasn't really. Sorry. I've been trying to decide between two lenses: the 70-200mm f/2.8 and the 135mm f/2 DC. I don't mind moving so the zoom capabilities aren't critical for me. I love prime lenses and find they produce a much better quality photo; however, the range is nice to have when I need it. Thanks for posting though.

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it." - Ansel Adams

vanessaadamsphotography.com/
www.facebook.com/VanessaAdamsPhotography

10 years 4 months ago #325409 by garyrhook
I would suggest looking at an 85mm f/1.8 or f/1.4.

That said, it's really about what you want to accomplish, and what fits your eye and vision. I love my f/2.8 tele and get lots of good work done with it. But I would like an 85mm prime as well. The Nikon f/1.8 is only $500 and highly regarded. And an 85 is a nice compromise between a zoom lens and zooming with your feet.

Photo Comments
10 years 3 months ago #325969 by KCook
I agree with Gary. The 135 would be sweet for a full frame body. But for a crop body it's getting kind of long, except for outdoor portraits.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 3 months ago #326293 by Stealthy Ninja
Depends if you'll need to keep the shutter speed at your camera's sync speed (using flashes/strobes) or not. If you do then you'll probably be shooting stopped down to at LEAST F/8. So prime vs zoom is irrelevant.

The Canon and Nikon 70-200 2.8 II (VR II or IS II) lenses are both very sharp and will match most primes at 2.8. So if you don't need to go faster than f/2.8 then zoom vs prime is also a moot point.

Now, if you can and will shoot faster than 2.8, then a prime is your best bet. Then I'd for for something between 85 - 135 for a full frame body. I like 85mm myself.

On a crop you can get a 50 1.8 (if you want something cheap) and this will make you step back to 85mm ff distances to get a similar perspective distortion. Personally I wouldn't use 50mm on FF for portraits but YMMV.

If you want to play it safe, get an 85 1.8G (Nikon) this lens is amazing for the price. VERY amazing. For Canon go for the Sigma 85 1.4 or perhaps the Canon 85 1.8. The Canon 85 1.8 is OK, but the Sigma is better. I personally have a Zeiss 85 1.4, which is a very nice MANUAL FOCUS portrait lens. Not the sharpest in the world, but it renders a really nice image that's sharp enough (with an ever so slight glow) so it's a really good portrait lens actually because of the way it "draws" faces.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024