Best aperture for photographing the moon?

12 years 2 months ago #196799 by Raymond II
From your experience what is the best aperture for shooting the moon? I've been finding f/9 or f/11 is looking pretty good. I'd like to know those with larger focal length lenses does that remain the same?

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #196805 by Scotty
f/11.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #196811 by Darrell
Yeah the moon is pretty bright, F11 range works good.......

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago #196864 by effron
The next time you are out shooting the moon, take different shots at different apertures, then compare them on computer. Not all lenses have the same sweet spot.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #196895 by MajorMagee
If you're after the peak resolution capability then it's a combination of both the lens and the sensor. The lens will have an aperture range where it has the best optical properties (no distortion, or aberrations), and the sensor will have an upper limit where diffraction effects will start to become visible. I have one combination of lens and camera body that I use for moon images where these converge at f8.

12 years 2 months ago #196940 by effron
A short article along the theme of this thread......
www.lightstalking.com/sweet-spot

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #196953 by Henry Peach
The moon is at infinity as far as any camera lens is concerned so DOF isn't an issue whatever aperture you use. If you notice one is sharper than another then use that one.
12 years 2 months ago #197186 by Jim Photo
There are some good tips in this thread, from my personal experience with my 70-200mm f/11 has worked the best for me.

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #197266 by duglas50
Using a Tamron 70-300mm at 300mm, F11 works best for a shot of the full moon.

12 years 2 months ago #197277 by Bob Eaton
Shooting the full moon is hard, due to the fact its soooooo bright!!!!!! Try new moon to first quarter, then 3rd quarter to new moon. Bracketing your exposures will help!!!!!! Good luck!!!!!! :P

Nothing is Beatleproof!!!!!!!!!
12 years 2 months ago #197295 by Jon Mac
I agree with f11 and also with a waxing or waning moon. The shadows really highlight the craters and give better detail.

I was doing a video test at f11 with a T3i and 70-210mm plus a 2X extender (so a final ratio of f22) and it seemed to work pretty well.

One cool thing about shooting video is that you can export as a frame sequence and then "stack" the best frames together to make a better image. This way you can eliminate the blurry frames that are caused by the atmosphere.

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #197335 by Stealthy Ninja
I've shot the mood at 5.6 for testing purposes. Just adjust shutter speed, it's not that hard to adjust to its brightness. ;)

f/8 for a crop camera due to diffraction kicking in after that. F/11 for FF.
12 years 2 months ago #197391 by H3
well my 50 f1.8 i like f 11
my tamron 17-50 f2.8 i like f 9 - 11 depending on were i am at and whats around me i might go 5.6 if im taking more then one shot to get stars as well or even lower if i want to get alot of stars kinda hard when the moon is in the frame tho

h3photography.smugmug.com
12 years 2 months ago #197392 by Stealthy Ninja

H3 wrote: well my 50 f1.8 i like f 11
my tamron 17-50 f2.8 i like f 9 - 11 depending on were i am at and whats around me i might go 5.6 if im taking more then one shot to get stars as well or even lower if i want to get alot of stars kinda hard when the moon is in the frame tho

Not gonna get much of a shot of the moon with a 50mm lens. :blink:
12 years 2 months ago #197405 by H3
it will be about this big . lol i missed the second part i just got back from 29 palms super tired was having some fun with all the stars

h3photography.smugmug.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024