Is Peter Lik's photography considered HDR?

12 years 3 weeks ago #216922 by James L

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Who cares, so long as they look good.

:agree:

Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #216981 by Janos
Don't care, his work is awesome

Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #217102 by Prago
What paper does he print on?

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #217103 by Stealthy Ninja

Prago wrote: What paper does he print on?

If I remember right it's a type of metallic paper.
12 years 2 weeks ago #217423 by Chansky

Scotty wrote:
1. You need to learn the difference between bracketing shots and using software to bring out the extended range, and just doing good editing.

Research Luminosity masking, exposure blending, and Dodge/Burning. After you'll do this, you'll realize you aren't making sense in any way, shape or form.

2. He doesn't have to tell you anything. This isn't a trial, it's a photography fine art business.

You sound insane.

re:
1. You need to not assume you're the only one who understands these things by making such statements.

I am fully aware of these techniques and also the difference between single shot blends vs. multi shot blends, etc..JFYI

2. I'm responding to the question(s) Does He? or Doesn't He; I doubt seriously that he's going to login here and answer the questions - I am simply sharing what I was told from someone only one person removed from the source. As for being a trail????? Since when did lying to the public become OK in the photography fine art business?

"You sound insane" - well, you sound like a bully.

11 years 9 months ago #240415 by nalu
What can you tell me about Lik's printing process? Paper, mounting etc. You seem to have an inside scoop. I have a client I am making several large prints to hang in their cafe that want a lot of pop to the print.

11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #240423 by Scotty

Chansky wrote:

Scotty wrote:
1. You need to learn the difference between bracketing shots and using software to bring out the extended range, and just doing good editing.

Research Luminosity masking, exposure blending, and Dodge/Burning. After you'll do this, you'll realize you aren't making sense in any way, shape or form.

2. He doesn't have to tell you anything. This isn't a trial, it's a photography fine art business.

You sound insane.

re:
1. You need to not assume you're the only one who understands these things by making such statements.

I am fully aware of these techniques and also the difference between single shot blends vs. multi shot blends, etc..JFYI

2. I'm responding to the question(s) Does He? or Doesn't He; I doubt seriously that he's going to login here and answer the questions - I am simply sharing what I was told from someone only one person removed from the source. As for being a trail????? Since when did lying to the public become OK in the photography fine art business?

"You sound insane" - well, you sound like a bully.

Just saw this response. I forgot about it.

If you understand the process, you would understand why you're not making sense.

Saying he's a liar when you didn't talk to him, you talked to somebody that works with phase one (which isn't a part of his staff) is INSANE. You're calling him a fraud when he never claimed anything in the first place.

Call me a bully if you want for setting the facts straight from your baseless attacks on his character and business practices.

I have talked to him before. I've talked to his editors. Some of his shots would be IMPOSSIBLE TO DO WITH HDR because of slow shutter speeds and merging shots without ghosting. A lot of his shots were one shot exposures made on FILM.

Nothing you said makes sense, and attacking somebody's character and their business practices on this site is not promoted.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #240425 by Scotty

nalu wrote: What can you tell me about Lik's printing process? Paper, mounting etc. You seem to have an inside scoop. I have a client I am making several large prints to hang in their cafe that want a lot of pop to the print.

His printing costs him thousands. Unless you have somebody with a big pocket book, it's not really worth looking into.

Here's him talking about gear, photoshop, his million dollar printing setup with the silver based papers.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #240512 by Henry Peach

icepics wrote: Harder to tell how good a photographer is when the editing is that extensive.

I just look at the photograph.

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." -Ansel Adams (<---another "cheater")
9 years 7 months ago #402912 by CameronJamesPhotography
It depends on what you consider to be HDR. HDR can be as simple as you cameras ability to see light. however, in the question that you are asking in reference to post process, yes in a form he does. I am sure that if you are a photographer worth your stuff, you know what lightroom is... he effectively moves his contrast up and his highlights down. this is the same technique i use on my photos. However Peter Lik and myself dont use lightroom. we use a similar but much more effective digital dark room titled Capture One. Currently they are in the 8th edition. but another thing that we both use that dramatically change the result of the image is a Phase One IQ280. This is a $150,000 set up (including all the lenses like mine includes) that is a digital medium format. however he also has at least 3 Nikon D800E's (assuming a 24mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4, 58mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and definitely a 50mm f/1.4, 14-24mm f/2.8, and 24-70mm f/2.8, also there could possibly be a 70-200mm f/2.8 in there somewhere but it would be rare that he uses it.), A Canon 1DX (definitely with a 70-200 f/2.8, and a 50mm f/1.2, possibly an 85 f/1.2 and maybe a few others) and a Linhoff Technorama 617III. As far as the film controversy and anti-edit, yes, he still shoots with film, that is what he shoots on the linhof, as a matter of fact, on his photo titled "Bamboo" he specifically used expired Kodak Ektar 100 film in his Linhof to achieve the unedited cyanish-green haze over the photo. No, he does not edit his film photos. If you have ever tried to edit film slides digitally, (especially 120mm slides), It is extremely, extremely hard. not to say that he does not correct for dust or defects and whatnot, but his film is particularly untouched. yes, he does edit his digitals, look at those blacks, they are darker than the night sky, and those colors are unachievable naturally, and you cant even make those colors in lightroom, capture one and phase one and nikon are both of our kings! you cant get saturation like that any other way. Hope this helps you. Lik and I have a very similar shooting style. I have studied lik for the last year to pin point his techniques and ive finally done it and have researched his videos to see what exactly he has in his bag. I saw his phase one for the first time on his new york video, i saw his nikon set up on his aviator video, i saw his canon set up on his volcano video, and i saw his linhof on his Yosemite video. not to say that he doesnt have other cool cameras, but this is his main use setup. he has rigs that are custom built for him for his shots that he takes under the Scripps Pier in La Jolla, i have perfectly replicated the effect of this rig by setting up 3 nikon d810's and rigging them all using tedious measurements and angles to get it just right and firing them all at the same time.
Right now, you can get Capture One Pro 8 for $300 at www.phaseone.com  

9 years 7 months ago #402913 by CameronJamesPhotography
He creates his own paper, however you can get the same effect on Fuji Crystal Gloss.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024