Question about painting a lens

9 years 9 months ago #388256 by ThatNikonGuy
I found a used 70-200mm lens on Craigslist that was priced very low.  I thought I was in the right place, at the right time till I met with the seller.  He failed to tell me that he had painted the lens white and his paint job was chipped and scratched up pretty bad.  I think he tried scratching some of it off.  He's selling the lens for $350, it's a VR, not the VRII.  I'm trying to decide if I buy this if I can easily repaint this and then sell it (I have this lens already).  Any ideas on this? 

Thank you

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #388261 by Don Fischer
You need another hobby to go along with your photography, you have to much time to think!

9 years 9 months ago #388263 by icepics
He painted it?? I don't know, but I'd wonder if flecks of it could have worked into the lens. And if he neglected to tell a prospective buyer (you) that he'd done a do-it-yourself paint job that now looks like crap - what else might he have failed to mention?

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #388280 by IzzieK
What do you mean by you already have it? You bought it? Was it because you have already arranged to buy the lens outright before you met? I would have refused to buy that then and there knowing he deceived me.

9 years 9 months ago #388326 by effron
"Just walk away, and put an end to the horror!"........
Humongous of the wasteland.....and probably good advice....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #388341 by garyrhook

IzzieK wrote: What do you mean by you already have it?

American idiom. It means he already owns that lens.

To the OP: Walk away. He ruined the lens for anyone else. And you have too much time on your hands.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #388347 by JaneK
That's priced low for a reason, who knows how long he has been trying to sell that.  I'd walk too. 

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #388416 by IzzieK

garyrhook wrote:

IzzieK wrote: What do you mean by you already have it?

American idiom. It means he already owns that lens.

To the OP: Walk away. He ruined the lens for anyone else. And you have too much time on your hands.

If he already have the lens (owns it...) then he cannot walk away now. And if he is my son, he'd get a clip at the back of his head with my open palm. Man o man!!!! If he has the same lens how come he wanted to buy another one? I am confused...

9 years 9 months ago #388429 by garyrhook
At the risk of repeating myself, it's an idiom.  It means he already possesses a copy of the lens, not the one he is looking at purchasing.

The OP is looking for an opportunity to make some money by picking up a lens at a bargain price, cleaning it up, then reselling for the going rate, which, for that lens, used, is closer to $1000.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: IzzieK
9 years 9 months ago #388469 by One Creative Girl
Well you could always get it for a beater lens

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #388476 by Joves
As Nancy Regan said; Just say no. :P
Why anyone would paint a lens is beyond me. Even if I scratch the body, I only use a blck marker to cover it. Well if I do at all.

9 years 9 months ago #388507 by Uplander
I wouldn't, seems like you could spend much more to fix it looking good. 

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #388565 by Crammer

One Creative Girl wrote: Well you could always get it for a beater lens

But then your beater lens is attached to your good camera, so what you do with the lens will effect the camera body.  I wouldn't even bother with this lens.  The original owner clearly screwed it up and no one else wants, which is why he is nearly giving it away.  

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #388634 by ThatNikonGuy
Thanks everyone.  I passed on it.  Just to clarify, I own the exact same focal length (70-200mm) lens already.  My thought with this was to buy, fix, and sell it to make a profit.  

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #388709 by garyrhook

ThatNikonGuy wrote: My thought with this was to buy, fix, and sell it to make a profit.  

Toldja.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024