Confession...

9 years 9 months ago #388877 by Alex
Well... it's been 8 years since the last time I went to a fair.  The Orange County fair here in Costa Mesa is a big one, and this year my wife and I decided to attend.  My attraction to the fair is rather primitive, better yet... barbaric might be a better word.  I mean how can you go to the fair and not get a Tyrannosaurus sized smoked turkey leg?!  :beerbang:   As soon as you step foot out of your car after parking, you can't miss the smell of BBQ and wood burning smokers in the air!

Well... this confession isn't about the awesome smoked turkey legs found at the fair. So my wife and I are walking around and the sky which was now showing amazing colors is now the perfect backdrop for a portrait of my wife.  I frame her up with the sky and dancing lights from the fair in the back ground.  Press the shutter, got the shot.  Take a few more before I notice a blinking "No Card". :pinch:   Seriously?  Yep... I left my memory card home in my card reader that was still plugged in my computer. 

So... we got a few iPhone shots of us that evening and still had a great time.  Yes... even had a succulent smoked turkey leg that was worth mentioning in this thread! 

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: rtenny
9 years 9 months ago #388908 by Stealthy Ninja
:ttiwwp:
9 years 9 months ago #388910 by Hassner
The first thing I do with a new camera is to set it NOT to take photos without a card.

And, like you, it WILL happen to me.
Luckily in film days I could hear by the noise of the motor drive if there was film in the camera or not.
I was saved many times.
When I photographed people, and after a few frames hear there is no film inside, I would say: "Are you at ease yet? Now lets try it with film."

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #388916 by effron
That's the beauty of the D800, there is ALWAYS a card in the camera. Usually, this happens just once to a photographer.....:(

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #388941 by Ted Baker
Oh man, sorry to hear!  Well at least you had good time

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #388964 by garyrhook
I am really surprised the images weren't buffered, allowing you to transfer them to a card once it was inserted.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #388976 by Tuscan Muse
Oh, so sorry Alex.  We're all only human!
9 years 9 months ago #389006 by Alex

effron wrote: That's the beauty of the D800, there is ALWAYS a card in the camera. Usually, this happens just once to a photographer.....:(

Actually I was using the A7R... ;)

But yes... this was the first time for me.  My wife sure had a good laugh, well we both did!   

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389016 by ubookoo
We all have done it! My friend told me that when he was shooting weddings he shot part of the wedding without film in one of his backs and had to re-stage the cake cut, bouquet and garter toss, and first dance. Ouch!!

9 years 9 months ago #389064 by effron

Alex wrote:

effron wrote: That's the beauty of the D800, there is ALWAYS a card in the camera. Usually, this happens just once to a photographer.....:(

That was my rather obscure point......:P

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389066 by John Landolfi
My (then) wife and I decided to go through a Lamaze type natural childbirth, in a very good hospital (for safety) that hosted natural childbirth. I brought a Retina IIIc with me in the labor room, and loaded a 36 exposure roll of TriX. I shot throughout the labor, excited about the good shots I was getting, up until she was brought to the delivery room, and I followed, without camera, to receive my daughter in this world. Back in the room, Daniela was brought to her mother for the first time, and I brandished the Retina to shoot more. When I checked the counter, i realized the film had never advanced....in my nervous excitement, I had not checked that the spool rotated when I advanced to the first frame, and I had not a single image , not one! I consider it one of the nadirs of my photographic efforts, and you know I always check that the film is advancing....yeah, I still shoot the occasional roll:)

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389083 by Alex

effron wrote:

Alex wrote:

That was my rather obscure point......:P

Gotcha... well either way... I had a Homer Simpson moment :pinch: , followed by 'I left something at home syndrome' :rofl:

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389084 by Alex

John Landolfi wrote: My (then) wife and I decided to go through a Lamaze type natural childbirth, in a very good hospital (for safety) that hosted natural childbirth. I brought a Retina IIIc with me in the labor room, and loaded a 36 exposure roll of TriX. I shot throughout the labor, excited about the good shots I was getting, up until she was brought to the delivery room, and I followed, without camera, to receive my daughter in this world. Back in the room, Daniela was brought to her mother for the first time, and I brandished the Retina to shoot more. When I checked the counter, i realized the film had never advanced....in my nervous excitement, I had not checked that the spool rotated when I advanced to the first frame, and I had not a single image , not one! I consider it one of the nadirs of my photographic efforts, and you know I always check that the film is advancing....yeah, I still shoot the occasional roll:)

Hi John!  Thanks for sharing the story, you told it so eloquently, that I felt bad for you!   Reading this, I knew what was coming.  Similarly... I was telling this story earlier too another film shooter who recalled a similar film incident as yours.  He was on assignment for The Smithsonian Magazine for a yearly event back in the day photographing deer coming out of an opening that symbolically was important.  Anyway... after the event, he noticed the film like yours had not advanced :pinch: .  

Speaking of your daughter... how is your granddaughter doing?  When are you heading back to Seattle?  Jackie wants to head up too Seattle for a weekend trip.  Never been there.  If we do make it... I just need to remember to bring spare cards!  lol 

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389087 by Alex

ubookoo wrote: We all have done it! My friend told me that when he was shooting weddings he shot part of the wedding without film in one of his backs and had to re-stage the cake cut, bouquet and garter toss, and first dance. Ouch!!

Well, now I can put that notch in the old belt myself!  ha ha ha

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #389127 by IzzieK
Speaking of your disaster, it happened to me yesterday...I went outside the deck to get some bird shot and grab one of the cameras from the box. I looked at why, -- it sez "ER". I removed and screw back the lens, it still sez "ER". Looked at the SD card -- it wasn't there. Checked my laptop. Yep! right there! Meantime, my birdie flew away...:(

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024