Spray and Pray not all bad?

9 years 7 months ago #402113 by Jacko
At first I thought there could be no good out of this.  But then I was reading about sports photographers or photographers who are shooting fast moving sports, that this sort of shooting works.  Are there other types of photography that could work with this sort of shooting?

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #402118 by Joves
It is not necessarily a case of hoping for a good shot, but for the money shot. Wildlife would be one if you are catching action shots like birds in flight, animals running. You could use it during lightning storms, but a longer shutter speed will get you far more keepers. I had a friend in the good old film days that shot sports, and I would go along to change out his film in his cameras, all with speed winders that would shoot 6 frames a second. Thirty-six exposures did not last long at some events. 

9 years 7 months ago #402123 by Jacko
I can't imagine how much film photographers must have went through back in day when photographing sporting events where they were panning all the time.

I still find the term "Spray and Pray" hilarious.  :rofl:

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #402142 by KCook
I use it for various events.  But usually in short bursts, not trying to compare with shooting video.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 7 months ago #402175 by garyrhook
I was under the impression that "spray and pray" referred to randomly pointing the camera and clicking the shutter button. What is being described above is burst shooting, which is perfectly reasonable for the subject matter. I don't think they are the same thing at all.

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #402205 by Shadowfixer1

garyrhook wrote: I was under the impression that "spray and pray" referred to randomly pointing the camera and clicking the shutter button. What is being described above is burst shooting, which is perfectly reasonable for the subject matter. I don't think they are the same thing at all.

Spray and pray is not randomly pointing the camera. It is basically burst shooting except some pros use it even for non-action subjects. I've seen several people fire off 10 shot bursts for portraits. Some wedding photographers use "spray and pray". They use a burst for every shutter press. That's what people refer to as spray and pray.
9 years 7 months ago #402284 by Monster
:goodpost:

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #402334 by KCook

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

garyrhook wrote: I was under the impression that "spray and pray" referred to randomly pointing the camera and clicking the shutter button. What is being described above is burst shooting, which is perfectly reasonable for the subject matter. I don't think they are the same thing at all.

Spray and pray is not randomly pointing the camera. It is basically burst shooting except some pros use it even for non-action subjects. I've seen several people fire off 10 shot bursts for portraits. Some wedding photographers use "spray and pray". They use a burst for every shutter press. That's what people refer to as spray and pray.

At events I may use Continuous for every shot.  But my camera's burst rate is not super fast.  If I quickly let up on the button I will usually get only a couple of frames.  So I am selective about the duration of the spray part :evil:

leterrip

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 7 months ago #402362 by Camera Diva
Oh no, not me.  I always slow things down to make sure I get the best shot I can.  I guess I'm not a sports photographer!  

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #402384 by Eliffman
I think this term is a little lose, you can spray and still have some thought it.  There for the pray side of things is reduced. 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #402387 by Don Fischer
I didn't know it was called spray and pray. I do it all the time shooting dog's running. Just started doing it a few years ago when I got serious about shooting the running dog's. I can't imagine getting a lot of the shot's I do by trying to time them but some guy from Florida claimed he could. My last film camera was a Nikon F5, still have it. I tried it on continuous one time. Sounded like a machine gun going off. I got about 24 frames of a cow picking up it's foot. That thing is so fast it would break you feeding if film. 

9 years 7 months ago #402412 by Stealthy Ninja

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

I had a friend who used to do 3-5 shot bursts for event photos.  He's since stopped after he realised all it did was give him 2-4 times the photos he needs. ;)

Once though we were both doing a wide angle shot of about 500 people.  We put our 1Dx cameras onto full burst and shot the crowd.  We did it to get them all to laugh/smile so we'd have a better shot. :D
9 years 7 months ago #402416 by KCook

Camera Diva wrote: Oh no, not me.  I always slow things down to make sure I get the best shot I can.  I guess I'm not a sports photographer!  

Makes perfect sense, when you have control of the subject.  But if you are hanging on for the ride, no telling what the subject will do next, continuous mode can be your friend.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 7 months ago #402418 by Don Fischer
The dog's I shoot are so fast there is no way I could get decent photo's trying to time it. I shoot inn burst's of 4 and when I'm done in that brace, delete everything I don't want.

9 years 7 months ago #402423 by garyrhook

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

Okay, thank you. I often have trouble with learning to appropriately use new jargon. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024