Dropped camera in lake. What are your thoughts about full frame?

9 years 7 months ago #403605 by Chewy
My Nikon D80 is about dead.  Well, let me say it's dead.  It was accidently dropped into a lake when loading up the boat.  So I'm shopping for a new camera and contemplating on sticking APC or going to full frame.  Actually I keep hearing about mirrorless, but not sure about that.  The new D810 looks good.  I have also seen some good deals on D700's and D800's. 

Any caveats you can think of about going full frame? 

9 years 7 months ago #403616 by Don Fischer
Someone posted something about cleaning a camera on here where the camera really got plunged in water. Seem's after that it was dried out and moisture removed and the thing worked. If I was in the market for a new camera I'd get pretty much all I could afford. Count out the D4. Even if I could afford it, no way could I justify it. My best digital right now is a D5000, it's all I could afford when I got it! I wouldn't get all wired up over a full frame, APS can do far more than I'm capable of.

9 years 7 months ago #403627 by KCook
Link to another thread that kicks around the FF option -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...on-camera-frame-size

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #403638 by Stealthy Ninja
FF will give you all of your lens. It'll be wider, brighter/larger viewfinder (more light gets in, google the science if you want) and the DOF in shots will be generally thinner (good if you want to blur the background). Generally they're better in low light too, but that depends on the sensor tech used etc.

Bad things:
Edges of some lenses don't look great, so you'll see the bad corners (if the lens has them).
Less reach.
AF points often don't go out as far (to the edge of the viewfinder) as they do with crop cameras.
9 years 7 months ago #403646 by Tony Imaging
That's a shame, well it sounds like you have some good tips here.  Go for it. 

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #404003 by Joves
When my D300 gives up the fight, I plan on going with whatever FX body is below the pro level body. The reason being is that Nikon is now using a higher pixel count, so if you have any DX lenses when the body goes to DX mode, you are not going to take an image quality hit. Also you can put it in DX mode for the crop on long FX lenses if you choose to do so. But in reality with the increased pixels you can crop like crazy. Before when you had a say D700, and it was in DX mode the images were terrible IQ wise, that is because you were cropping a 12MP image, so why do it when the D300 was a cropped sensor at 12MP? I think in truth that DX will remain, but only as entry level to keep the price point lower. In reality as the MP resolutions improve for FX the need for cropped sensors fades. Also the manufacturers will keep it because DX is cheaper to produce. 

9 years 7 months ago #404050 by Chewy
Big help guys, the gears are turning.  I'm tracking some used deals.  Crossing fingers for a good deal!

9 years 7 months ago #404083 by TGonzo
Well that sucks.  At least there is a silver lining to this story, you get a new camera!  

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #404254 by Randy Shaw

TGonzo wrote: Well that sucks.  At least there is a silver lining to this story, you get a new camera!  

Silver lining?  Did you see the OP avatar?  :lol:

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #404259 by effron
Its not like you're changing genders, buy a D610 and get to photography!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024