If you had $5300 to spend on travel and workshop...

9 years 6 months ago #405591 by Colorado Mike
Where would you go?  Also just to confirm, when traveling and attending a workshop that is related to your field of business (photography).  Is that tax deductible? 

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #405599 by KenMan
My answer is a tricky one.  I'd buy the new Nikon D750 and go to Colorado, Alaska or Maine for the workshop.  This time of year all those locations will be amazing.  Plus be opting to stick around in the states, I save travel cost and get a new camera :beerbang:

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #405604 by KCook
Any tropical beach with a good workshop on swimsuit photography B)

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 6 months ago #405623 by Scott Innes
Greece

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #405630 by Don Fischer

Colorado Mike wrote: Where would you go?  Also just to confirm, when traveling and attending a workshop that is related to your field of business (photography).  Is that tax deductible? 

Yes it is tax deductible. My step father was an CPA and gave seminars every vacation he took to write off the vacation. a brother now, A CPA, used to give lecture's on cruise ships. Free cruise and other expenses a write off. I would use a word of caution though on it. You can do so many that you never make a reasonable profit at your work. Lot's of free trips but no income! Year's ago I trained dogs for a living. I live 35mi from the nearest town of any size. Only go to town when it is necessary but when I did I bought something for my dog training business. Did my personal business, got something to do with the dogs and wrote off the mileage. If I had $5,300 to travel with and was a photographer, I'd definitely find a class on the other end to take or give one. Where would I go, without a doubt, Africa! I'd shoot animals!

9 years 6 months ago #405639 by Tuscan Muse
This is a biased answer, but I just have to say, Tuscany, Italy.  There are several articles here on PT about the famous photographer's light of Tuscany. Tuscan Muse will be posting its 2015 itineraries in the next couple of weeks.  But, you can get an idea of Tuscany and the shots that are possible by visiting the site now:   http://tuscanmuse.com
9 years 6 months ago #405645 by ShutterPal
France, Italy or Iceland

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #405677 by Sawyer
As we are getting close to cooler months, then I'm going to say tropical beach first, then Rome, then anywhere in Brazil and then Kenya. 

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #405691 by utibay
I think it really depends on the type of photography you want to do.  That said, I'm not the biggest fan of workshops.  Like art school, you run the risk of falling into mob mentality in workshops and making work just like everyone else.  I believe your work should be unique to yourself and your perspective.

I'd spend all the money on travel, finding the most interesting places to my visual sensibilities and try to spend as much time there as possible.  It's not about the camera, the camera's just a means to an end and you can shoot great photos with an iPhone or point and shoot if you know what you're doing.  What matters is what you shoot.

9 years 6 months ago #405754 by Glen Martin
I don't think I would go to Kenya these days, Ebola is too close for comfort there.  I'd be going to remote locations that are cold and Ebola virus most likely can't survive. 

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #405755 by Don Fischer
Good post!

9 years 6 months ago #405778 by Glen Martin
You know what, I would go to BoraBora or Norway

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #405834 by Don Granger
France or Germany

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #405843 by Don Fischer
A trip anywhere in Europe would be great. There's so much history you wouldn't believe it. I spent three years in Germany in the service. I could spend another three years there and not see near as much as it has to offer. But my passion is Africa!

9 years 6 months ago #405890 by Finn

Don Fischer wrote: A trip anywhere in Europe would be great. There's so much history you wouldn't believe it. I spent three years in Germany in the service. I could spend another three years there and not see near as much as it has to offer. But my passion is Africa!

+1 and might I suggest Madrid 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024