Street photography ethical or un-ethical?

9 years 3 months ago #418150 by Nancy Hait
I believe normal street photography is just fine and ethical.  However wonder at what point does society in general believe the line is crossed?  I've been looking at street photography photos this morning and can't help to think if some of these are way over the line. 

I suspect this could be another highly opinionated topic.  Thoughts?

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #418158 by effron
Your conscience and common sense should be your guides.....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #418163 by Joves
To me so long as you stay out of someones personal space then I do not find it at all unethical at all. There is that one guy in NY that I would have punched simply because he jumps right in your face, and I do mean in your face. To me that is an aggressive act, and can cause a retaliative strike from some. 

9 years 3 months ago #418185 by garyrhook
I can't think of any aspect of "ethical" that applies, other than "legal" or "law-abiding."

I wouldn't condemn an entire genre because of a few idiots. I mean, look at Miley Cyrus or Lady Gaga. 

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #418206 by Rudy Sosa

effron wrote: Your conscience and common sense should be your guides.....;)

Isn't that the guide to all that we do?  :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #418261 by Robert Chen

Rudy Sosa wrote:

effron wrote: Your conscience and common sense should be your guides.....;)

Isn't that the guide to all that we do?  :thumbsup:

I should be, however many missed that memo.  

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #418278 by Tuscan Muse
During a Street Photography Workshop that we hosted, this was a hot topic for discussion.  Many believed that you should let your conscious should be your guide.  All agreed that photographing young children without parental permission was a huge no-no. Some said that photographing the homeless was unethical, while others said it was not.  If you watch the movie, Finding Vivien Maier, you learn that she used a Rolleifex camera, which allowed her to view her subjects from waist level rather than at eye level. She never actually looked her subjects in the eye in her early photography. Some believe this allowed her to take up close and personal photos without invading personal space. 
9 years 3 months ago #418377 by garyrhook

Tuscan Muse wrote: She never actually looked her subjects in the eye in her early photography. Some believe this allowed her to take up close and personal photos without invading personal space. 

That makes no sense whatsoever. Or: that's just rationalizing.

Anyhoo...

Children are not always a no-no, depending upon where you are, and harmless you appear to be. It's sad that it should matter at all, IMO.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #418387 by Barbara-Treen
Children:  I would always ask permission of the parents before photographing children, unless they were part of another shot (e.g. a beach scene, and there were kids playing in the water) and could not be identified in the photo.  I know some parents get really nervous about strangers photographing their kids, and I would respect that.

Adults:  I would ask permission of any individual or couple before taking the photo.  An exception would be a street/crowd scene.  I have some photos of a popular park with joggers, bicyclists, dog-walkers, etc on the path.  I try to get shots far enough away or from an angle that individuals cannot be recognized.

My guideline is "would I want my face plastered on Facebook/the Internet/in a photo contest without my permission?"  The answer is no.

9 years 3 months ago #418446 by KCook

Barbara-Treen wrote: Children:  I would always ask permission of the parents before photographing children, unless they were part of another shot (e.g. a beach scene, and there were kids playing in the water) and could not be identified in the photo.  I know some parents get really nervous about strangers photographing their kids, and I would respect that.

Adults:  I would ask permission of any individual or couple before taking the photo.  An exception would be a street/crowd scene.  I have some photos of a popular park with joggers, bicyclists, dog-walkers, etc on the path.  I try to get shots far enough away or from an angle that individuals cannot be recognized.

My guideline is "would I want my face plastered on Facebook/the Internet/in a photo contest without my permission?"  The answer is no.

That is my view.  Also, I think the venue makes a difference.  I shoot "street" mainly at public events.  If you're part of the crowd, you are fair game.  Shooting people who are just out for a stroll needs more respect.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #418493 by Stealthy Ninja
Well, this has been discussed before on here a few times.

I'll say what I always say about asking permission for street photography. I think it's pointless. If you want to do street portraits or whatever, then permission is fine, but I like to capture moments on the street, not staged portraits.

Sometimes I even take photos of children without permission! 

Proof I'm an evil street photographer:
9 years 3 months ago #418653 by Joves
:agree:
Yeah street is basically shooting candid shots on a large scale, or it is supposed to be. 

9 years 3 months ago #418725 by Randy Shaw
OMG Ninja :rofl:

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #418827 by Ian Stone
Here's a good article I read some time ago that hits it on the head -  www.businessinsider.my/5-basic-principle...ography/#.VKLE814AMs  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #418836 by KCook

Ian Stone wrote: Here's a good article I read some time ago that hits it on the head -  www.businessinsider.my/5-basic-principle...ography/#.VKLE814AMs  

Or was that 5 Reasons To Give Up On Street Photography? :pinch:

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024