What is your favorite lens?

9 years 3 months ago #423216 by rtenny
I would like to start a thread about your favorite lens. 
Apart from from brand, model and focal lenght I would also like to know why this is your fav.

Here is my fav lens.

Nikon 50mm f1.8
Even though this is the cheapest lens in my bag it's defo the favorite one. The 2 main thing that I like about this lens is
1) its extrem sharpness
2) the shallow depth of field

The first image shows our cat and when you zoom right in to the eye of the original image you can see me in the reflection taking the photo.

The second image nicely shows the very shallow depth of field on those post.

9 years 3 months ago #423218 by JeremyS
My favorite lens so far is my 14-24. It lets me have such fun with landscapes and new points of view. Great for a lot that I do. Its not my lens of choice all the time, but when I get to use it I get excited and happy.

9 years 3 months ago #423220 by garyrhook
My favorite lens is my 70-200 f/2.8; the lens I like to use the most is my Tamron 24-75 f/2.8.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #423300 by rtenny
@takennnn but what brand is that lens'??? Nikon, Canon, Tamron?

9 years 3 months ago #423301 by rtenny
@garyrhook I am pretty sure yours is a Nikon 70-200

9 years 3 months ago #423308 by JeremyS
Yes, mine is the Nikon 14-24. Great lens, got to use it today :)

9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #423311 by Stealthy Ninja
Funny enough my manual focus Voigtländer 35 1.2 is my favourite. Very nice images and FUN to take photos with.

That's the key to me, fun.

This photo was shot with that lens:

Sure it won't win art awards, but it shows the nice 3D look it can give a shot, lots of nice contrast and honestly the best thing is how smooth it feels when you're focusing.  

IQ isn't perfect, it vignettes like crazy in certain shots and is hard to get sharp at 1.2, but it's FUN.
9 years 3 months ago #423319 by Screamin Scott
Lester Dine 105mm F2.8 MF  macro  lens from the mid 1980's

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #423340 by effron
My Micro 200 f/4 is my favorite because its slow focusing, and I can actually hear it cranking in. I also have to throw a switch when I want to return to manual focus. (Where it sits 90% of the time). Pretty darn good IQ though. Its old like me, and we've got to stick together.....:dry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423402 by Danny Carson
Well that's a tough call, there are so many different lenses that come up and are top picks.  All said and done, I would go with the 24-70mm,  mainly because it's so versatile. 

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #423471 by Scott Klubeck
Well at the end of the day, you can't go wrong with the 50mm.  In this case I'm going to have to say the 85mm. *Canon 85mm. 

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423503 by garyrhook

Scott Klubeck wrote: Well at the end of the day, you can't go wrong with the 50mm.

Yes, you can.

In this case I'm going to have to say the 85mm. *Canon 85mm. 

A much better choice.

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423593 by Joves
I honestly have to say I do not have a favorite one. My 40mm Micro is on my camera the most for walking around. But I also at times have a cheap 18-55 that I use when walking around town. My favorite lens has always been the one I take with me when I have a planned shot, or type of shooting. When I am shooting wildlife then it is my 80-400 AF. Macro my 105 f/2 AI Micro. 

9 years 2 months ago #423594 by Screamin Scott
Is that the older or newer 80-400 ?

Joves wrote: I honestly have to say I do not have a favorite one. My 40mm Micro is on my camera the most for walking around. But I also at times have a cheap 18-55 that I use when walking around town. My favorite lens has always been the one I take with me when I have a planned shot, or type of shooting. When I am shooting wildlife then it is my 80-400 AF. Macro my 105 f/2 AI Micro. 

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423599 by Joves

Screamin Scott wrote: Is that the older or newer 80-400 ?

Joves wrote: I honestly have to say I do not have a favorite one. My 40mm Micro is on my camera the most for walking around. But I also at times have a cheap 18-55 that I use when walking around town. My favorite lens has always been the one I take with me when I have a planned shot, or type of shooting. When I am shooting wildlife then it is my 80-400 AF. Macro my 105 f/2 AI Micro. 

The good older version. While yes I would love to justify having the AF-S, where I am living right now does not. Now if I was living back in northern Arizona shooting wildlife would make that a different story. I like the AF just fine, there was never anything wrong with it once you learned how to use it effectively. But I know you know that.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024