Advancements in film and film cameras?

9 years 2 months ago #423864 by Jeffster
Seeing that you can still buy film and film cameras on the market.  Anyone happen to know if these companies are researching the technology behind the film or optimizing the cameras and coming out with new film cameras/technology?  

The short answer I get is yes:  years ago... it's called digital.  

That's not what I'm talking about.  You know, like increasing ISO performance as an example in both the film camera or in the film it self? 

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423873 by effron
There isn't much being spent on emulsion based R&D. It is what it is. I am nostalgic and still own many film cameras, but I don't yearn for those days. Digital is here to stay.....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423915 by JaneK
I don't see where the profits would be here?  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #423916 by Hassner
Lots of film and film cameras are going off the market all the time. Research will be throwing good money after a decreasing market.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423945 by Vahrenkamp
Agree, you buy film camera now, not because of the latest and greatest film camera.  You buy it to enjoy the roots of photography IMO.  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #423972 by garyrhook
I just do not understand why anyone could possibly care. Photography is about capturing light. We have better tools to do that now.

Film for the sake of film?. Meh.

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423988 by Don Fischer
Only reason I went digital in the first place was cost. Now I do like the ability to throw a bad photo out and move on. My D70 is a lot better feeling than my D5000. And me F5, Pentax 645, RB 67 and even my Yashica 635 feel better to use. I don't shoot the F5 at all any more but the other's I like to drag out now and then. Even have a small stash of 120 film in the fridge. For all the advantage's of digital, I'd never part with my film cameras. Seem's to me I read where oversea's there is still a good market for film camera's.

9 years 2 months ago #423990 by Stealthy Ninja
I have often been tempted to buy an old Leica or something... because I want to play with a rangefinder and can't afford a digital leica... (poor me)
9 years 2 months ago #424076 by icepics
What I can think of that might be considered advancements of a sort are updated ways of doing early processes - tintypes, ambrotypes, daguerreotypes, etc. There are workshops at the Eastman House in Rochester NY and I think at the Talbot House/Museum in the UK, and some of the ways the processes are done now seem to be safer and use less toxic chemistry etc. (Daguerreotypes in particular created fumes that apparently were toxic enough to cause brain damage, and the number of people using that process seems very limited.) The Eastman House has workshops on making/coating emulsion for people who want to do their own for plate photography etc.

New types of film being developed seem to be more for experimental or creative uses. Lomography did some that replicated aerial ir film (although was not true ir). I've used film by The Impossible Project for Polaroids that are monochromatic, in cyan and magenta.

Many newer cameras replicate vintage cameras. Some made by Lomography are similar to ones made in Europe and Asia in the '60's and '80's and others are similar to midcentury cameras like vest pockets made out of bakelite. 

If a film was made in a higher ISO it wouldn't be usable with existing film cameras and I don't think there's that large a market for new film cameras to use higher ISOs. I never liked the results I got with 800 or 100 speed film, I use 400 or 100. I find that if I'm losing light late in the day outdoors it pushes the limits of what a camera can do; I can sometimes still get pictures as it's getting dark out a little longer using my digital camera but either way it just gets too dark eventually to get good pictures (unless you want to set up and do a long exposure).

Usually when getting film developed the lab will scan the negatives or some people scan their own so it's not hard to go from film to a digital format. I use the same lenses on my film rangefinders and my digital camera so it's possible to get good quality images either way.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #424080 by Joves
Well yeah Sharon the old tin/wet plate types would kill you for sure. Somehow vaporizing quick silver/mercury does that to a body, will also make you mad as a hatter.:rofl:
Films Achilles heel has always been that you can only get the silver grains so small, and still able to capture in lower light. Granted you can hyper/cook film to make it more sensitive, but that only works so much, and still falls way short of what digital can do. Like some other old film shooters, I may at times get nostalgic, but then I wake up and remember processing, and what it took to get a print. Then I snap back into a happy reality that the nightmare is over. Film as far as profitability is dead for the most part, and is declining more each year. Just say no to film.

9 years 2 months ago #424097 by John Landolfi
One of the aspects of film photography that still attracts me is simpicity, the economy of means that demands more of me compared to shooting with a D3s or D7100, for instance. A different pace of shooting, more reflection, more pause to imagine what I'm trying to achieve, rather than seeing what I can make out of one or two of a couple of hundred digital captures ( which certainly has its place).
Why would I want to complicate that process by using a digital-wanna-be film camera?

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography
9 years 2 months ago #424134 by Randy Shaw
Really film?  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #426381 by McBeth Photography
Part of the thing that appeals to me about film is the lack of advancements. You can actually spend years, even decades getting to know your medium, which is film. I now prefer to shoot black and white film and enjoy it very much. My go to cameras are now a Nikon F3 and a Voigtlander Bessa. The attraction to both of these cameras is the simplicity in use and their durability. I don't need to worry about spending big bucks on a camera upgrade because with proper care these cameras are going to continue to do what they have done for decades...Take photos. I do a little bit of Lightroom if I scan, but for the most part I'm off the computer most of the time. Emulsions are being upgraded here and there, but for the most part they are the same as they have been, consistent. I'm officially off the hamster wheel of camera upgrades and megapixel wars which feels great.

It is what it is.
9 years 2 months ago #426480 by Don Fischer
Anyone here never used film camera's? I love the feel and sound of film camera's. Waiting for film to get back to see what you got is like waiting for a new mail order catalog to come in. I also think that film require's a lot more talent than digital. You can't shoot something, view it and decide to throw it away, your gonna get what you get! I know you can scan film and probably enhance it in a computer, I've scanned don't remember if I post prepped much, I don't do much with digital. Just can't figure it out. Ever wonder how good you really are? Cover the screen on the back that lets you see your shot's as they happen. Shoot off 20 of 30 then go home and see what you got. Gonna need post prep? I think so as it seem's a very very small percentage of people don't post prep!

The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography
9 years 2 months ago #426491 by McBeth Photography
I'm really not anti digital at all, I've just realized that I am pro film!

Voigtlander Bessa I w/color-skopar 3.5

Tri-X 400 in D-76

It is what it is.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024