Post-mortem photography

9 years 2 months ago #426207 by One Creative Girl
I overheard another photographer talking about this today in Starbucks.  Seems kind of creepy to me.  Has anyone here been asked to photograph a dead person?  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #426216 by Baydream
Not really. Memories for a family that may not have recent shots. All in the "treatment". Several members of our club are volunteers with "Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep" and take photos of stillborn babies and those not expected to make it. A true gift to the families. 

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #426227 by KenMan
I agree, but that takes a special photographer IMO.  Not for me.  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #426228 by stuartsbarbie
I do not think I could do it, but I think that it is a gift to those who lost love ones.  Especially if those loved ones live far away. 

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #426257 by Alan Nunez
I wonder if it pays well?

9 years 2 months ago #426321 by TGonzo
I'm in that same group.  I respect those that do this and know there is a good reason for doing this.  Just too creepy for my taste.  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #426490 by Scott Klubeck
I prefer the living 

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #426496 by Joves
I could do it. I look at it as we are all born to die. So seeing and shooting the dead is no different to me than shooting anything else. Fact is I have shot many dead animals in my time romping around in the woods, and to me it is pretty much the same thing.

9 years 2 months ago #426540 by Shadowfixer1
I've done this 3 or 4 times. You just have to look at it as just shooting an object. My wife's cousin even had her mother's funeral shot by a professional videographer. That was a little much for even me.
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #426607 by Glen Mosley

Shadowfixer1 wrote: I've done this 3 or 4 times. You just have to look at it as just shooting an object. My wife's cousin even had her mother's funeral shot by a professional videographer. That was a little much for even me.

Did these jobs pay well?  I'm guessing something like this, it would seeing many wouldn't want to do this.  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #426735 by Tim Chiang

KenMan wrote: I agree, but that takes a special photographer IMO.  Not for me.  

I'm with you 100% on this one. 

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #426741 by Screamin Scott
I suppose I could do it, but it's not really my cup of tea...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #426815 by One Creative Girl
So what was it like photographing a dead person for the first time?  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #426878 by Shadowfixer1

One Creative Girl wrote: So what was it like photographing a dead person for the first time?  

I didn't think much about it. I was just trying different angles and watching the exposure. It's not easy to do because of the angles.
9 years 2 months ago #426899 by Cory J
Curious who moves the deceased around for the photos?  Are you doing it, or did they have a nurse or family member doing that?  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024