Marketing for getting more senior portrait jobs?

9 years 2 months ago #426906 by Cathy Kadolph
Are you all focusing your marketing at the seniors or their parents?  If parents, where are you finding the most bang for your buck in reaching them?

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once you grow up." Pablo Picasso
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #426907 by ubookoo
The most effective way to get to the parents is to give your senior clients their own personalized app that they will share with their friends and family members. Using an app and creating a text to win contest will get your company information in the hands of students and parents and allow you to book more business.

This is also the best way for senior reps to promote your business.

Click on the banner below to learn more.

9 years 2 months ago #426910 by Chris Grimm
Most schools will send out monthly flyers and allow you to advertising in school sporting events.  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #426915 by Cathy Kadolph
Thank you.  I look at downloading that ebook when I'm on my home computer.  Good ideas with the school events.  Keep the tips coming :)

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once you grow up." Pablo Picasso
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #426917 by icepics
Depends on schools/school districts where you live. In my area a school or district would not send out info. from outside parties (such as you), that would go through the PTA. The school district where I live does a calendar at the beginning of the school year, something like that may accept ads or sponsorships, same with athletic or arts event programs, etc. Senior portraits in my area seem to be done early in the school year.

For marketing in general try PPA or http://asmp.org   for resources from pro photographers organizations.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #426980 by JeremyS
In my own experience, contact the yearbook staff at the school. Ask to see if there are advertisement spots to support the yearbook, it will take a year to get your investment out however I can tell you I have 300 people from my school of 1000 who have currently bought a yearbook and 300 who will see the ad, which costs us, 50$ to put it in. It is a great way and students will look at that, and immediately see photography and they won't know many other photographers except what they see. I've heard of another method which a photographer supplies senior portraits for a discounted price, however they get free advertisements every year and they get a constant source of all grads. In this example which I personally know, that photographer gets between 200-400 senior portraits done for each grad, because over the 15 years they have done it, it has become a tradition and a stepping stone towards university. If you go to that school, you need to get your senior portraits done with them. 

I am the editor of my high school yearbook, so I am aware of how most yearbooks run, if you have questions about that aspect of advertisement, I would be pleased to help :)

9 years 2 months ago #426999 by ShutterPal
:agree:  And also see if the school has a paper of it's own 

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #427301 by ubookoo
Seniors have their phone with them 24/7!

Paper handouts, flyers, postcards end up at the bottom of their backpack.

Get your company directly into their hands by giving them an app all about them! They will share the app with friends and family while promoting your company.

I am passionate about this because it really works!!

Try it yourself..

Text: senior2
To: 71441

Click on the link to view a unique senior app. You can then bookmark it or save it to your home screen. Also much more effective and much less expensive than printing flyers.

9 years 2 months ago #427316 by TCooper
Yes again, but you need to get that message to the parents of the teens.  ;)

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #427348 by Ontherocks
How are you getting the seniors aware of this app to start with?

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #427436 by garyrhook

TCooper wrote: Yes again, but you need to get that message to the parents of the teens.  ;)

You do need to get the attention of the kids. They get excited, they tell their parents about what they've seen. I know one strategy is to take applications for "school models" which ideally gets you in front of potential clients when they model shows off the results to their friends.

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #427553 by Stanly
+1  exactly 

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #427599 by Joslyn
Don't you need permission from the school board in order to market to it's students?

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #428704 by Cathy Kadolph
Just wanted to thank you all for the ideas, I'm looking into them all this weekend.  

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #428727 by JeremyS

Joslyn wrote: Don't you need permission from the school board in order to market to it's students?

I can ask any business to advertise in my yearbook without any permissions required. Provided they are not a prostitution ring or promoting illegal activity. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024