What has been the biggest risk you have taken as a photographer?

9 years 2 months ago #427825 by Tony Imaging
We all weigh risk differently.  So for some they might have taken a loan out to get some new gear or advertising, perhaps leaving a full time job with benefits to pursue an uncertain carrier as a photographer.  Heck you might have moved from one brand to another and incurred a ton of cost with that move.  

For me, I've been recently offered a high paying full time photography job with benefits, however it requires me to move my family and I nearly 1,400 miles.  You know the routine, nothing is forever, however what is right now, is pretty impressive.  So I'm putting some serious thought into this.  

So what has been your biggest risk you have taken as a photographer?

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #427906 by effron
Leaving the Fabulous Forum in Inglewood Ca following a Rolling Stones concert with all my camera gear at 2:30 am and a half mile solo walk to my car......:dry:
Maybe a close second was a river canoe ride, mid seventies or so, the Stanislaus River was dammed for the New Malones project (California) and the river was to disappear. A friend and I decided a last chance to photograph the river was worth the risk, so with the spring melt making the river dangerous we jumped in anyway. I found out after we swamped in a steep gorge my friend couldn't swim. (Life jackets are useless in water like that).  We were lucky to survive that. I had more fun as a young man but I sure was stupid at times......:)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #427924 by MYoung
Leaving other options, investing in all my photography gear and pursuing wedding photography 

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #427942 by Superman
Lending my camera to my brother for the weekend :pinch:

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #427992 by Randall McNabb
Not starting sooner!

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #428044 by Noah J

Randall McNabb wrote: Not starting sooner!

I'm so going to copy your answer!  I wish I had started earlier too.  :silly:

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #428078 by Ruby Grace
Financially: 2 years ago, I spent $6000 on lighting equipment that I put on my credit card to make my own home studio. Yikes!  Luckily my husband helped me pay it off in a couple months

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #428167 by dragosticu
Changing lens and bodies while raining.

9 years 2 months ago #428237 by J Hemingway
G.A.S.  

:rofl:

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #428262 by Joves
Does climbing up sheer rock faces count? 

9 years 2 months ago #428284 by Ryan711
Climbing under a bridge to photograph a birds nest, that ended up being empty.  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #428377 by Adam Nagle
Joves do you do rock climbing?

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #428395 by JRA
Making the move from Nikon to Canon.  What was I thinking?     'nuf said. 

The change back will come one day...........

9 years 2 months ago #428458 by Joves

Adam Nagle wrote: Joves do you do rock climbing?

Why yes I have been know to play gecko at times. Not as much as I used to, or would like now that I am in the east. When I was in Arizona poking around in some of the canyons it was not too hard to have to do it. I am hoping to eventually get back out there before I get too old to be doing that again.

9 years 1 month ago #428519 by NickSano
climbed up on a tree that I later found out had a nest of fire ants on it!  I was trying to photograph a 'different' angle of a water fall.  Not one of my smartest moves, the tree was VERY dead and some limbs were punky.  In retrospect, I'm surprised the main trunk even held my weight! 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024