"Like New" lens, that I just looked at

8 years 11 months ago #439046 by Orlando Bohland
Let me ask you this.  If you saw an ad for a lens that is "Like New", what is the first thing you think of?  Better yet, how old would you say the lens might be?

I just got back from looking at a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens that was supposed to be "Like New".  When I met the guy, the lens ended up being just under 6 years old, and had a scratch on it.  I asked why he advertised it as "Like New" and he said that the optics in it were flawless, and like new.  

To me, this now was just a ploy of words to get people calling on his ad.  I turned it down because of this.  Hardly worth the title of "Like New".  More like "great shape".  I was expecting something months, maybe a year old.  

How do you feel about this scenario?  Do you agree?  

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #439050 by effron
When something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Lowered expectations come with age I guess......:unsure:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #439072 by MYoung
Yep, I would have reacted the same. 

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #439098 by Hassner
"Like new" age does not bother as much having to be spotless.
Lenses hardly used over 5 years will be in a better condition than one of a month old, but used daily.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #439101 by garyrhook
For me, "like new" implies that it is cosmetically, optically and mechanically in essentially the same condition you find when you buy something at a store. The seller in this situation was clearly using a different meaning for the term, and I would have shared my definition and politely explained that I've never thought that there were constraints on the term. Then said my goodbyes and left.

I purchased a used CD once, sight unsee, described as "near mint". The business side of the disc was covered in scratches and I sent my objections to the seller and explained that in no way was the product "near mint" by any definition.

Some people seem to think that words mean whatever the decide they mean.

I'd suggest next time asking for photos first.

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #439116 by Uplander

garyrhook wrote: For me, "like new" implies that it is cosmetically, optically and mechanically in essentially the same condition you find when you buy something at a store. The seller in this situation was clearly using a different meaning for the term, and I would have shared my definition and politely explained that I've never thought that there were constraints on the term. Then said my goodbyes and left.

I purchased a used CD once, sight unsee, described as "near mint". The business side of the disc was covered in scratches and I sent my objections to the seller and explained that in no way was the product "near mint" by any definition.

Some people seem to think that words mean whatever the decide they mean.

I'd suggest next time asking for photos first.

Even with photos, that doesn't always insure honesty from the seller. 

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #439122 by Jerrid
Never trust people from internet

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #439199 by garyrhook

Jerrid wrote: Never trust people from internet

[edit]
I know, right? You can't believe a thing they tell you. :whistle:
[/edit]

Man, I am having the worst time with my typing, of late...

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #439306 by Joves

garyrhook wrote:

Jerrid wrote: Never trust people from internet

I know, right? You can believing a thing they tell you. :whistle:

:agree:
Yeah especially on here! :rofl:
Well I am guessing this was CL. I cannot count the times that I have walked away from someone claiming that something was in top condition. I just see it all as a part of the game. On the other hand I have gotten some good deals as well, so I see it as averaging out to some extent.
But you heard this on the interbutz, so it may not be true at all. :evil:

8 years 11 months ago #439313 by Don Fischer
So how much did he want for the lens? Could it be that you might have got a better price? One you couldn't match somewhere else? if your intent was to get a good deal, maybe it was worth walking from. On the other haqnd if all you wanted was to teach him a lesson, I doubt you did it.

8 years 11 months ago #439346 by ThatNikonGuy
Play of words, I would have been a little twisted about this too

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #439373 by Screamin Scott
Different people have different opinions. What one thinks is "Like New"  may very well be different than your opinion. . Remember the old adage "One person's trash, is another's treasure"...Whether or nor to buy it, IMHO, depends on if what they were asking for it, is what you would consider paying for it..... Lord knows eBay has lots of wear scales all over the place as to condition. Don't go by what they advertize, go by what you are looking for... As for a scratch on the barrel, that cosmetic & shouldn't affect the optics anyway.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #439398 by Jennifer Krueger
Well did he disclose the scratch on the camera in the ad that you responded too? 

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #439485 by garyrhook

Jennifer Krueger wrote: Well did he disclose the scratch on the camera in the ad that you responded too? 

I believe the whole point of this thread is that the seller did not.

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #439807 by Stealthy Ninja
Don't trust anyone, especially people on forums. :kmonst:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024