Camera sensor technology reached its peak?

3 months 2 weeks ago #760321 by Ontherocks
I was just thinking this morning.  When you look at new cameras to hit the market during the last year, sensors haven't really altered that much.  So is this a sign that the sensor technology has matured and towards it peak?   Is there any forecast on the horizon of what is next?  

Photo Comments
3 months 2 weeks ago #760364 by TCav

Ontherocks wrote: Is there any forecast on the horizon of what is next?  

Greater resolution.

Lower image noise.

Higher dynamic range.

The quest continues.

3 months 2 weeks ago #760365 by TCav
What's really holding us back is the Bayer Filter and the RGB Color Model.

But escaping those restrictions will require a paradigm shift against a firmly entrenched method.

1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #761990 by isabellasophie

Ontherocks wrote: I was just thinking this morning.  When you look at new cameras to hit the market during the last year, sensors haven't really altered that much home improvement monroe wa .  So is this a sign that the sensor technology has matured and towards it peak?   Is there any forecast on the horizon of what is next?  

While it's true that sensor technology in cameras has seen significant advancements over the years, it's premature to conclude that it has reached its peak. While there haven't been major breakthroughs in sensors in the past year, this doesn't necessarily mean that the technology has matured completely. Forecasting the future of sensor technology is challenging, but there are ongoing research and development efforts aimed at improving various aspects such as resolution, dynamic range, and low-light performance. It's likely that we'll continue to see incremental improvements and innovations in sensor technology in the coming years.

1 month 2 weeks ago #762008 by Chris Briggs
I'm holding out for the sensor that will be printed in my brain, when I blink twice a photo is taken.  Stomp my right foot twice and that photo is printed out.  :rofl:

Photo Comments
1 month 2 weeks ago #762062 by Frost Photography
Hardly, we see advancements all the time. They might not all be mind mending, but if you fast forward to 5 or 7 years, I bet we will see something major. 

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
1 month 2 weeks ago #762151 by CharleyL
They said similar when vacuum tubes were the peak of electronics. Then discrete transistors, then integrated circuits, then computer on a chip. I don't think we are there yet.

Charley

1 month 2 weeks ago #762176 by Sanford

Chris Briggs wrote: I'm holding out for the sensor that will be printed in my brain, when I blink twice a photo is taken.  Stomp my right foot twice and that photo is printed out.  :rofl:

We chuckle today, but can't help wonder where Elon Musks new brain chip company will be 15 or 20 years down the road?!

Photo Comments
1 month 1 week ago #762260 by W Cage

Chris Briggs wrote: I'm holding out for the sensor that will be printed in my brain, when I blink twice a photo is taken.  Stomp my right foot twice and that photo is printed out.  :rofl:

Seems funny today, but I bet in 20 years this might be a 'thing'!  

Photo Comments
1 month 1 week ago #762333 by Carry
Nope, sooner or later the next tech wave will swoop on through.  As we become smarter or AI will likely be the one that comes up with the next idea.   

Photo Comments
1 month 1 week ago #762442 by Thomas S

TCav wrote:

Ontherocks wrote: Is there any forecast on the horizon of what is next?  

Greater resolution.

Lower image noise.

Higher dynamic range.

The quest continues.

Yep, Yep, Yep and absolutely!  

Photo Comments
4 weeks 1 day ago #762708 by Sawyer
Not even close 

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
3 weeks 6 days ago #762779 by EOS Man
Has any mainstream consumer product technology peaked, ever?  No.  Things just manage to evolve to create better products and further commerce.  

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
3 weeks 3 days ago #762851 by Adam S
Absolutely NOT.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024