UV filters really necessary?

1 month 2 weeks ago #762018 by Opto Fox
I'm always flip-flopping on this issue. Back in the day, I'd slap a UV filter on every lens I owned, but at some point, they started to feel more like a hassle than a help. Plus, I'm pretty much glued to using lens hoods all the time. Not sure what it is. Now, I've gone and treated myself to this fancy new lens with a massive front element, and I'm toying with the idea of keeping it safe behind a UV filter. What do you folks think?

1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #762021 by TCav
1. Digital image sensors already have UV filters on them, so there's no reason to put another one on the lens, as far as imaging is concerned.

2. All filters degrade image quality, tough expensive ones degrade image quality less than cheap ones. So if you decide to get a LENS PROTECTION FILTER, make it a good one. And be prepared to spend a lot for it.

See www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/06/good-times-with-bad-filters

and www.lensrentals.com/blog/2010/12/the-gla...ss-all-about-filters

1 month 2 weeks ago #762022 by Opto Fox
Thank you.  You know what I find funny is that when ever I'm in a physical camera store, they always try to sell me these filters when I buy a lens 

1 month 2 weeks ago #762040 by TCav

1 month 2 weeks ago #762100 by Beth Anderson
I haven't used a UV filter since, oh yeah never.  :rofl:

Photo Comments
1 month 1 week ago #762190 by Razky

Opto Fox wrote: I'm always flip-flopping on this issue. Back in the day, I'd slap a UV filter on every lens I owned, but at some point, they started to feel more like a hassle than a help. Plus, I'm pretty much glued to using lens hoods all the time. Not sure what it is. Now, I've gone and treated myself to this fancy new lens with a massive front element, and I'm toying with the idea of keeping it safe behind a UV filter. What do you folks think?

Even though I have a few non-multi-coated lenses, I've never seen a need for UV filters, preferring Wratten 81 and Decamired R filters instead. I consider a  lens hood essential for protection against flare.

1 month 1 week ago #762270 by Randy Shaw
To each their own.  Personally, I don't use one. 

Photo Comments
1 month 1 week ago #762283 by CharleyL
I have them on all of my lenses, but remove them for taking most photos. I got into the habit of using them early on for lens protection, but I'll remove them before I shoot, if striving for the absolute best shots. They are on every one of my lenses otherwise. Over the years, two of my lenses have been saved from damage.

Once was while the camera was set up on a tripod and I was waiting for the action to begin. A dog had gotten loose from it's owner, and during the chase he went past my camera and his trailing leash caught the tripod, knocking it and my camera to the ground. The UV filter took the damage, and after a bit of trouble getting it off the lens the lens was fine and so was the camera. A scrape on the tripod was added, but no other damage.

The second time was when a studio prop was knocked over and it hit the tripod, knocking it and the camera to the floor. Again, the UV Filter took the damage and not the lens. 

In both cases, I had my cameras "on" and ready to use, and had removed the lens caps so I could set the camera position, etc., but had not yet removed the UV Filters. In both cases, the UV Filters took the damage and not the camera or lens. I like to think I was lucky both times, but I will continue to leave my UV Filters on up until the point of actually taking the pictures, then replace them afterward. The lens caps are always "On" during transport and initial setup. 

Charley

1 month 1 week ago #762376 by Sandy Smith Photos
Last time I used one was at the sand dunes in California.  That was just to protect my lens from being sand blasted.  

Photo Comments
1 month 6 days ago #762411 by Fess Walker
They're good for protecting your glass.  Thats the only thing I'll use them for 

Photo Comments
1 month 2 days ago #762533 by H Rocky
Got one, but personally don't use.  Actually I'm not even sure where that filter is at :rofl:

Photo Comments
1 month 10 hours ago #762623 by Rudy Silvo
Yea same here.  Actually the only time I used mine was at the beach.

Photo Comments
4 weeks 2 days ago #762657 by Pete Franko

H Rocky wrote: Got one, but personally don't use.  Actually I'm not even sure where that filter is at :rofl:

Yeah, pretty much the same scenario for me.  I have one, actually might even have a couple, however not a clue where they are! 

Photo Comments
3 weeks 5 days ago #762735 by Joe Peterson
Meh, to each their own.  Not what I use.

Photo Comments
3 weeks 3 days ago #762805 by Street Shark
Got one, and don't use it.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024