Why did you buy YOUR camera?

12 years 11 months ago #49561 by motol66
Why did you buy your camera? What sort of things did you take into consideration when you were making your decision? What is your day to day use? Did you worry about a warranty? Does your camera suffer much abuse in its day to day life?

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #49570 by Zardoz
I bought my D300/w 70-300 lens because Costco had it for sale online for $2000 period. I did not care if it had matel on it. I bought my RB 6X7 because I had a hankering for a camera, and the ones I wanted were sold out, and I saw it sitting lonely deep under the counter top, and I had the money in my pocket.

My day to day photography is whatever grabs me, I guess it is like that saying "When in Rome..." Right now migratory birds are the thing.

I never worry about warranty , most electronic things work forever if they work the first 24 hours. It does help that my cameras are metal frames! I have had a few major accidents...

12 years 11 months ago #49582 by effron
I just wanted to, thats all..........:)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #49584 by KCook
That's a lot of questions. What is the goal of your inquiry?

confused Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 11 months ago #49587 by motol66

KCook wrote: That's a lot of questions. What is the goal of your inquiry?

confused Kelly

No goal. I already have a DSLR, so I'm not posting the questions for trying to figure out if I should buy a DSLR. I am asking in simple curiosity. That's all.

12 years 11 months ago #49588 by motol66
To answer my own question....

I didn't buy my camera. My father took it upon himself to buy me the Canon xsi for Christmas last year.

12 years 11 months ago #49590 by crystal
Well the camera I have now...because I wanted too...wanted the upgrade, better camera. Day to day use is everything. landscapes, wildlife etc..
12 years 11 months ago #49592 by KCook
Ok. Sorry about getting my back up there. I've seen questions like this in the past that turned out to be a cover for marketing research. :cheers:

Anyhoo. My first DSLR was an impulse purchase. Definitely did not research and plan it to death. No regrets. The camera gave me valuable experience while I spent the next year plus doing all that research for its eventual replacement.

I considered a lot of different aspects of camera design and performance. In the end design won out. Kind of like designing a camera for myself from scratch, then looking around for the real camera that came the closest to that. Which was not the cutting edge choice that a lot of shoppers look for.

Warranty was of no concern at all. Guess I've had good luck with my cameras, so that was off of my radar.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 11 months ago #49594 by motol66
Oh I am sorry. No, no marketing. My 9-5 is no where near marketing. :dry:

12 years 11 months ago #49595 by crystal
Oh heck, is this about the first DSLR?

anyways, My first DSLR my husband bought (he picked it out, cuz at the time I knew nothing about SLRs, he has been using a Pentax SLR for years). The Nikon d50 was bought after we came home from our honeymoon and I realized how much I love photography. Soon after my D50 was bought, we were sharing the camera...which wasn't easy, so another d50 was purposed.
12 years 11 months ago #49597 by crystal

KCook wrote: Anyhoo. My first DSLR was an impulse purchase. Definitely did not research and plan it to death. No regrets. The camera gave me valuable experience while I spent the next year plus doing all that research for its eventual replacement.

Kelly

We did research when we bought our first DSLR, it was between the d50 and d80, but at the time we could only afford the d50. About a year or so later we upgraded to the d80 to find out, we should have bought the d80 to begin with. lol We did like the d50, but for the price difference the d80 was the better choice.
12 years 11 months ago #49603 by Scotty
It's the most versatile camera on the market.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #49613 by Cre8tivefix
Hmmm... Well my first one was a canon rebel. I really wanted to try a DSLR, but I don't like spending money on anything. I bought that one because it was broken, really cheap, and had an issue I figured I could fix. I chose it over other broken cameras because my father had a canon and I figure I could borrow a lens from him for testing and because I could get a second body for parts if I needed them. From there I just kept fixing, using, selling, and using the money to upgrading to a newer broken cameras of the same brand. I currently have a 40D and am hankering for a 5D. I liked them, they were easy to work on, I know I can get good parts, I'veI got a few lenses of my own now, and they worked great when fixed up. :) So... as you can guess warranties, and extras aren't really what I shop for.

12 years 11 months ago #49650 by ArtWagner
Friends told me it was a good camera :beerbang:

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #49662 by icepics
Which one?? LOL I have everything from box Brownies and vest pockets (including a Kodak that's nearly 100 years old) to a new Diana and a Pop 9. My most recent purchase was a tin can Pinhole Blender that takes pinhole photos and actually advances film (no viewfinder though, let's not get too fancy!).

Mostly I've bought whatever fascinated me. Except for my Ricoh that I bought right out of college - I probably got that because the local camera shop carried those and that's what I could afford. I bought a digital Ricoh GXR because I happened across their international site and discovered this digital camera with interchangeable units. It was the only digital camera that made sense to me, since DSLRs seem to be mostly modelled after autofocus film cameras, of which I have one and don't understand it well.

I've had pretty good luck at places like the camera swap for trying out something different; that was a good way to not spend a lot to find out you've got a camera you aren't crazy about. (And trade it in later). Lately I've been trying photograms - no camera or lens. Or film for that matter.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024