Think back to when you were brand new to the DSLR/SLR world

12 years 11 months ago #78189 by village rat
Did you ever ask the good ol question of.....What settings should I use for portraits taking during the day?

As I am browsing through the forum, it's got me thinking back to when I first started. What I didn't know, and how much I have learned since then.

12 years 11 months ago #78495 by Big Kevin
Oh totally! I would ask some very simple questions on just about everything! I sure wasn't shy. :whistle: I'm glad I did ask, that is how you learn. :beerbang:

12 years 11 months ago #78583 by effron
I can remember buying my first slr, circa 1970, but not much after that right up to, umm, this morning.
Its different now. Shooting film required a wait time before you could see results, where digital offers instant exposure information. A lot of new people should just go out a shoot photos, and spend less time on the computer.......;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #78691 by mj~shutterbugg

effron wrote: I can remember buying my first slr, circa 1970, but not much after that right up to, umm, this morning.
Its different now. Shooting film required a wait time before you could see results, where digital offers instant exposure information. A lot of new people should just go out a shoot photos, and spend less time on the computer.......;)

I bought my first slr in 1994 in college and stayed with that body and 50mm prime lens through college. I agree many new shooters should focus on shooting instead of post processing to the rescue. Not saying I don't post process cause I do I just try not to rely on it. Also when I shot film money was tight so I was much pickier in my shooting style as to not waste money I didn't have. Money is still tight but I can afford to be riskier and take chances with digital as it doesn't waste money to try something.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 11 months ago #78721 by Johnnie
I purchased my first SLR Camera back in 1983 - I couldn't wait to see the results, so I took a class in darkroom technique and started developing both B/W and Color. When digital came into the picture I fought it tooth and nail ... now I am glad that I lost the battle.

12 years 11 months ago #78761 by Henry Peach
I very reluctantly purchased my first DSLR. I was worried that it wouldn't look as good as film, that my sensor would get dusty, my hard drive and memory cards were going to fail, and so on. I never worry about that stuff anymore.
12 years 11 months ago #79269 by John Ledder

Big Kevin wrote: Oh totally! I would ask some very simple questions on just about everything! I sure wasn't shy. :whistle: I'm glad I did ask, that is how you learn. :beerbang:

I agree with you, this sounds like me or how I was.

Family, Fishing, Fotography :)
Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #79521 by KCook
Got my first SLR back in the '60s. Too long ago to remember anything at all about the event.

Got my first DSLR just a year and a half ago. Biggest surprises were how the multi-point phase detect AF works. And how dull the RAW images were.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 11 months ago #79529 by Baydream

Henry Peach wrote: I very reluctantly purchased my first DSLR. I was worried that it wouldn't look as good as film, that my sensor would get dusty, my hard drive and memory cards were going to fail, and so on. I never worry about that stuff anymore.

I takes pills for that :toocrazy:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #79531 by Karl Wertanen
I remember... i was 17 when i got my 1st SLR and i certainly didn't have a cool forum like this w/people to answer my q's. I did alot of reading... and went through alot of film.... :silly: now, i just go through much less film :woohoo:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024