Thoughts on purchasing a Canon PIXMA Pro9000 Mark II Brand New in the box without warranty?

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #415974 by woodcycl
I have an opportunity to buy a Canon PIXMA Pro9000 Mark II still-in-the-box in original packaging, but box opened for inspection for ONLY $150.  She has a copy of the original receipt showing the $399 price.  I haven't inspected in person yet.  But, assuming all is well and as expected, is there any reason not to go forward with it?  The only thing I can think of is if it is DOA after setting it up.  I'd be out $150 since I have no warranty ... buying second-hand.

Hard for me to pass up tbh.

Thoughts?  

9 years 4 months ago #415978 by Alex
Ahhh we meet again! 

Seriously... this is a great printer Brian.  I've been using this printer for nearly 3 years. $150 seems like a solid price.  I'd go for it. 

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: woodcycl
9 years 4 months ago #415979 by woodcycl
Thanks Alex ... yeah, same thing I was thinking!

Appreciate the first-hand experience and referral.

9 years 4 months ago #415994 by One Wish
$150 is a good price for that printer.  I'd find out what ink they have been using in it.  If it's not Canon and some sort of aftermarket, your ink heads might be mucked up a bit.  That could require a professional cleaning.  

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #415998 by woodcycl
Thanks One wish. The printer is still in original OEM packaging ... never unpacked. Only taken out of box to inspect. Printer, ink cartridges, etc. still in shrinkwrap and similar. I'm going to see it this afternoon ... hoping all is as described!

9 years 4 months ago #416017 by icepics
I have a Canon Pixma but a different model that I bought from Adorama and it's worked well for me.

I'm wondering if it's brand new in the box, why is the seller pricing it so cheap? Why didn't she return it and get her money back? she's out $250 selling it at this low price.

The seller has a copy of the receipt, doesn't she have the original receipt?? Something doesn't seem quite right about this deal.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #416021 by GWS
Well it could be the right place right time, for that price, I sure wouldn't pass up at least taking a look at it.  

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #416041 by Joves
I would inspect it carefully. If there is none of the clear green tape holding the parts in place everywhere, then it is used, and repacked. Any print cartridge you buy is shrink wrapped so that deas not indicate anything. Again if there is no tape holding trays and such in place then it is not brand new. If they will not let you inspect it that deeply then I would walk.

9 years 4 months ago #416062 by woodcycl
Yes, agreed to everyone thinking this might not be legit (hot item).  And, I was actually going to take it out of the box, unpack it and plug it into a cig lighter adapter and fire it up as well.  And, as Joves stated ... ensure it is actually in its original packing as described.  

Does seem a bit too good to be true.  

She did back out on me today stating she couldn't get a ride to our meeting place.  So, we'll see how it goes.

9 years 4 months ago #416097 by garyrhook
Um... move along.

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #416103 by stuartsbarbie
After that being said I would really hesitate and probably say no thank you.  Sometimes if it is too good to be true it is.

Photo Comments
9 years 4 months ago #416123 by John Landolfi
Agree with Joves. Peace of mind is worth the extra money, and even if offered in good faith, the printer may turn out to be a lemon, with no recourse. Pass...:cheers:

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: icepics
9 years 4 months ago #416189 by woodcycl
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thoughts at this point ...

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #416224 by icepics
Good thinking... Wonder if she has a boyfriend/relative that does smash 'n grabs? and she couldn't get a ride because someone else was using the getaway car??

(edit - Or more seriously maybe there's some reason/explanation for selling it cheap but seems like an iffy situation.)

Nice tip Dennis (Joves) about the packaging.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024