Photographing Newborns

12 years 2 months ago #207297 by Amberfarley80
This week I am doing pictures for my nephew's baby girl
And I was looking for some tips on backgrounds, props, or
anything else would be helpful. Thanks

A Farley
12 years 2 months ago #207314 by Darrell
I do a lot of new born pics. Make sure room is warm, have some bright colour props, little toys etc. If the baby is just a few weeks old they can be placed in any position, great age for bare shots. I always have the parents pose the baby. I have used an old suit case, pea pod prop, wicker basket, Mom and Dad holding them. Do you have studio lighting or off camera flash? I usually have back drop drape over the stand the baby is on. Young babies take a long time to photograph, can count on them needing to be changed and fed. Also get feed back from parents, Mom's usually has ideas and may come with some props. Make it a fun time....

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago #207320 by KCook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 2 months ago #207851 by Ford Plus
There are wool baby hats that are made that are very long. I have several baby portraits using these hats, very cute. White background would work. Make sure the room is not cold, you don't want a cranky baby because it's cold.

12 years 2 months ago #208327 by samiphotos
For your first newborn session, keeps things simple. In a very, very warm room, use a blanket or solid color backdrop and an ottoman or child's beanbag covered with soft fur. A fairly flat basket or tray with a soft lining works well too. Don't try to imitate exact images from other photographers. Look for beautiful light and watch the baby. If they begin making funny little faces, do a series of identical shots capturing a smile, a grimace, and a yawn. Then put those images into a collage or storyboard. Of course capture feet and nose and lips and fingers as well as typical poses like mommy with baby, daddy with baby and mom and dad together with baby. And most important or all, try not to let baby "startle" which is when the baby jumps and jerks its arms wide open. Whenever you or the parents are moving the baby, keep it's little arms snug. The easiest way is to spread your fingers out wide and place your hand over babies crossed arms so your hand is snugging the arms against the chest. Baby feels warm and secure even when naked. When baby is settled in and relaxed, slowly remove your hand. I just added a small newborn/maternity album where you might get some ideas or go to my website.

Attachments:
11 years 11 months ago #233520 by hurleytalk
Fingers and toes--the best things about newborns! Get a picture with baby's fingers wrapped around mom and/or dad's finger--very close up with solid dark background (or light if hands are dark). Put baby's foot against mom or dad's hand or even thumb depending on the size of the foot. If baby is smaller and dad has big hands, that 'famous' shot of the dad holding baby with head in his hand and body along his arm and opposite hand on top is a great shot, but only works in some circumstances and with a very happy sleeping baby.
When our hospital baby photographers do the newborn shot (generic but works), they do them right before a feeding when baby is alert and lay him on his back, then hold his hands/arms on his chest together and shake a rattle overhead to make the baby look--they let go suddenly while shooting the picture and the baby will usually do that startle reflex mentioned above, but it is not harmful in that case and they will open their eyes and you sometimes get some great shots. Otherwise the other comment was right about not startling them much when they are lying still otherwise--they may start crying and it may take a while to settle them for the shot. Good luck--baby pictures are awesome :)

11 years 11 months ago #233684 by icepics
Amber you seem to have gotten some nice poses in the photos you have posted, so you probably would do well to continue with what has worked for you. Some of the photos look rather soft when enlarged when you click on them on here, but that could be if you were using existing light then, or from the resizing etc. posting on a message board.

My job was working w/infants w/delays (preemies etc.) and I hadn't looked up baby photography online til it came up on the board here, but I've seen some bad ideas out there. I don't think young infants should be manipulated into some of the poses on some of the equipment I've seen in some photos, esp. when the baby is young enough to need the head and neck supported.

I'd follow Darrell's suggestions, and mostly have the parents position the baby and you manage the lighting and camera etc. Depending on the age newborn infants don't necessarily yet have fully developed vision so I don't know that I'd take a lot of toys til the baby's older. At this age they tend to respond more to toys that are bright w/B&W and geometric designs which the family might have. Or the baby may respond more to mom's or dad's voice and face, or as the baby gets a little older a mirror can be great to get the baby to smile and vocalize.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024