Photographers who shoot in manual mode all the time...

11 years 3 months ago #270046 by Patrick Harkness
What are the exceptions of NOT using manual mode? I'm still getting the hang of all the features my camera has and at first found my self using Auto mode, which I quickly got out of. Now I'm using pretty much Aperture mode nearly all the time and don't see reason for using anything else. Correction, I do use manual here and there. I just don't understand why even bother using it all the time, isn't this unnecessary work and time?

11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #270060 by hghlndr6
I'm working in manual mode most of the time. I suppose it's because, since that's how I started out way back in the day when manual everything was the only mode, I'm very comfortable with it. That plus I prefer to exercise complete control.

The exception is with wildlife photography or sports where I don't have the luxury of time to figure everything out or mess with settings. Gotta be ready to shoot immediately. So there, I'm working in either aperture or shutter priority ... but, even then, I won't hesitate to revert to manual if I encounter some weird lighting condition.

Bottom line is you do whatever works best for you.
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #270068 by mklinejr
I use manual mode when using strobes off camera to get the look that I want. So i have gotten use to using it that way so I end up in manual mode alot of the time.

Life is much more managable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffet
11 years 3 months ago #270077 by KCook
Some photographers use Manual mode most of the time. But that does not make it a requirement. I have found Manual mode useful when I am shooting a series of shots, all at the same exposure. And when shooting with manual flash or strobes as the main light. Otherwise I am usually in one of the priority modes. Links to lots more thoughts -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...t-get-p-auto-iso-etc

www.picturecorrect.com/tips/aperture-pri...ter-and-manual-mode/

www.expertphotography.com/shooting-modes/

thediscerningphotographer.com/2011/05/27...to-your-photography/

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 3 months ago #270097 by Leilanee
I use manual all the time, but I do use some automatic settings like AWB and Auto Focus ;)
It depends on what you think the camera can do better.
When it comes to judgement of colour tones and white balance, I prefer the camera's decisions. Also, when I'm focusing manually, I usually THINK I'm focused where I want it, then it looks so very wrong when I see it nice and large, so I use the manual selection option to autofocus in a particular field of choice. Once you and your camera learn to get along with each other and become BFF, you notice that you can learn to compromise, and let each other take control in particular areas where your strengths are ;)

11 years 3 months ago #270125 by Rob pix4u2
I shoot indoor sports on Manual mode because lighting in the rink doesn't change all that much . I do use AWB and set my ISO manually.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
11 years 3 months ago #270179 by Joves

hghlndr6 wrote: I'm working in manual mode most of the time. I suppose it's because, since that's how I started out way back in the day when manual everything was the only mode, I'm very comfortable with it. That plus I prefer to exercise complete control.

The exception is with wildlife photography or sports where I don't have the luxury of time to figure everything out or mess with settings. Gotta be ready to shoot immediately. So there, I'm working in either aperture or shutter priority ... but, even then, I won't hesitate to revert to manual if I encounter some weird lighting condition.

Bottom line is you do whatever works best for you.

:agree:
I still shoot Manual for the majority of my wildlife shots as well sans the birds in flight. Then it is Aperture Mode with Exposure Comp depending on how bright it is. I have never liked all of this auto crap, it somehow separates you from the process, well at least it feels that way to me. Besides what I love about digital is that now I can shift the ISO on the fly, and with Picture Controls, I can even change the way a photo looks in the camera. With film it was you were stuck with speed, and whose film and type you were using till the roll was gone, so yeah I love controlling every last aspect. I shoot RAW+ Jpeg in case I screw up the exposure. But having total control now is great.

11 years 3 months ago #270209 by Baydream
I prefer Aperture or Shutter priority because with wildlife lots can change very quickly. I took a workshop with a couple who said they only shoot in manual. Two years later at a presentation, they said they shot manual BUT used Auto ISO. Must have missed some great shots.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #270218 by garyrhook
Manual, especially in low-light situations. My desire is to master aperture/exposure/ISO control.

Gary

www.grhookphoto.com
facebook.com/grhookphoto

Photo Comments
Attachments:
11 years 3 months ago #270219 by Scotty
Man you guys do way too much work. I shoot Aperture priority 99 percent of the time.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #270268 by rmeyer7
I've found myself using aperture priority for the most part, mostly because I can get the settings I want quickly by turning one dial, or occasionally using the second dial for exposure compensation. Maybe it's lazy, but it takes me longer to get the shutter speed right than to just let the camera handle it and make minor EV tweaks myself.

11 years 3 months ago #270278 by photobod
Ime a control freak so its manual for me :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :banana: :banana: :banana: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :thx:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

11 years 3 months ago #270296 by effron

Scotty wrote: Man you guys do way too much work. I shoot Aperture priority 99 percent of the time.

Me too, but don't tell anybody...I want them all to think I'm a cool photographer and shoot ONLY manual......... ;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #270324 by Scotty

effron wrote:

Scotty wrote: Man you guys do way too much work. I shoot Aperture priority 99 percent of the time.

Me too, but don't tell anybody...I want them all to think I'm a cool photographer and shoot ONLY manual......... ;)

:cheers:

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #270340 by icepics
With my film cameras that are mechanical, everything is manual so that takes care of that choice. Which is probably why after starting out in all auto I switched to manual settings with my digital camera; I don't find manual settings difficult because that's what I've always used. I guess it depends on your experience and preference, I find it easier to use manual settings than using auto or priority modes. I depend on the meter to adjust settings to work with the existing light.

The only thing I usually leave in auto is WB most of the time; that seems to adjust better than me trying different settings fo that.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024