Your thoughts on this please

13 years 6 months ago #4793 by Obadiah
Hi all,

I am new here, and would love your comments on a pic I took on a recent trip to the USA. This was taken at Arlington Cemetry in Washington DC.

Happy to hear all constructive criticism. :)

Cheers

Attachments:
13 years 6 months ago #4996 by mggraz
I like it! The only thing I would consider doing is using the clone tool in Photoshop to take out the white stone that is in front competing with the main subject.

13 years 6 months ago #5909 by flyingv
Nice photo!!

13 years 5 months ago #7988 by bdroberts
I have taken the liberty of working on the image to demonstrate the composition.
With the angles of the stones and the one that is different, you already have a command to look. but by placing the one that is important in a proper composition it has more dramma and impact.

I have changed the crop to place the important story telling feature in the composition of thirds.
using crash point 3.

BD Roberts, M. Photog., CPP, EICPP

www.bdroberts.com

Photo Consultant to the industry

Attachments:
13 years 5 months ago #7989 by ldkd
you seem to be full of photography knowledge...keep posting so i can keep learning!!

13 years 5 months ago #7990 by Martin

bdroberts wrote: I have taken the liberty of working on the image to demonstrate the composition.
With the angles of the stones and the one that is different, you already have a command to look. but by placing the one that is important in a proper composition it has more dramma and impact.

I have changed the crop to place the important story telling feature in the composition of thirds.
using crash point 3.

Excellent job!!

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #8089 by bdroberts
IDKD...
I am like an outboard motor. If someone pulls the starter cord, with a question or thought, then I respond by running 4 cycle, and things just come spinning out. LOL:ohmy: :P

Yes, I started in this business in 1963, and have logged a lot of experiances.

And what I have found is that one never stops learning no matter how long you have made a living or played at/with photography.
It is a stair step learning process. YOu learn, then do for a time, then learn more and step up a notch, then learn some more.
For those just starting out the best advise I ever received was being told to look back 5 years to see the improvment in knowledge. High end professional photography is not learned overnight or in a year or two. Just because you have a good camera no more makes one a quality photographer than me owning a carpenters square make me a builder of quality homes.

BD Roberts, M. Photog., CPP, EICPP

www.bdroberts.com

Photo Consultant to the industry

13 years 3 months ago #23135 by TAHIMY
This is a beautiful shot! :thumbsup: I wonder if you took one with a lower view...

t

13 years 3 months ago #23309 by Britt340
IMO, the branch or whatever is in the upper right hand corner is distracting and it takes away from the perfect formation of the rest of the picture.
The white stone in front of the main subject stone is taking away from the main subject.

13 years 3 months ago #23326 by Stealthy Ninja
Nice, but what's been said I mainly agree with.
13 years 3 months ago #23449 by Obadiah
Thanks for all the feedback...very helpful!

13 years 3 months ago #23519 by canon4me
In an online photo course...I took a pic of a cementary with a mound of rocks- a grave... and the teacher commented that I should have gotten closer to it! lol I just couldn't do it.... this is good with that one gravestone different from the others.. I think I would get rid of the branch up in the right corner...otherwise..I think its pretty neat!

13 years 3 months ago #23588 by Rob pix4u2
Nice shot- :thumbsup:

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 3 months ago #23608 by Scotty

Britt340 wrote: IMO, the branch or whatever is in the upper right hand corner is distracting and it takes away from the perfect formation of the rest of the picture.
The white stone in front of the main subject stone is taking away from the main subject.

Agreed. It also appears to be really soft.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #29739 by Rob_W
Nice shot, without the branch and the white stone
in the foreground it would be very good...

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024