IS, worth it? 75-300mm lens

12 years 8 months ago #139813 by Phil0
I have a new Canon. It came with a 75-300mm lens without image stabilization. I feel like I might benefit from upgrading to the lens with IS. I've used the lens both indoor & outdoor . Outdoor most pics are turning out nicely. Indoors, I have a higher percentage out of focus. Would the IS help me with this?

At this point I am solely using the various preset modes, I have not begun to play with modifying settings. My dad thought that if I increased shutter speed then the current lens would probably be as good as the IS lens in most situations. His understanding is that IS is more of a benefit in the video world.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

12 years 8 months ago #139823 by Mike eats photos
If your lens is having trouble focusing in low light, IS will not do anything to help.

IS will help you avoid camera shake, but it can't make your lens focus better.

I tend to agree with your dad - that IS is more useful for video. (Not to say that it's not nice to have though.) And he is right - increasing the shutter speed will help avoid camera shake.

IS will allow you to use a longer shutter speed if you have to though. Just remember that it can't stop the subject from moving, so if the shutter speed is too long you'll still get blur from that.

It sounds like the main problem you're having is the lens focusing in low light though. It's a pretty common problem for slower lenses...

All you can really do, short of buying a new lens, is try to get more light into the room. Open the blinds, turn on some lights... It should help...

12 years 8 months ago #139824 by Baydream
Dad's are usually right but not in this case. You can get faster shutter speeds with IS since it adds the equivalent of about 2 or 3 f'/stops. I have had both and love the IS on my 70-300. It is allowing me to get better wildlife shots when handheld is the only option and better shots indoors.
My 70-300 is getting some age on it (bought it with my film EOS Rebel) but still rocks.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #139826 by Phil0
Alright, thanks.

If IS is more for video then why include it on lenses for cameras?

12 years 8 months ago #139829 by Baydream

Phil0 wrote: Alright, thanks.

If it's more for video, why was it introduced YEARS before video was available on DSLRs?

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #139831 by Phil0

Baydream wrote:

If it's more for video, why was it introduced YEARS before video was available on DSLRs?

I don't know. I was just asking a question.

12 years 8 months ago #139857 by Baydream

Phil0 wrote:

Baydream wrote:

I don't know. I was just asking a question.

I know you were. I was just kidding. My experience with both tells me that IS is a valuable tool for all sorts of shots except possibly tripod-based (and there is some discussion on that). Remember I bought mine with a film camera that pre-dated my XT which was introduced in 2005.

Newer versions of IS are even better than what I shoot.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #139862 by butterflygirl921
i have the 75-300mm lens but i have the is version and it works really great i love it

12 years 8 months ago #139977 by icepics
Sounds like you're at the point of using mostly auto settings (which is where I started w/digital and it's still fairly new to me having used all manual cameras for years). I'm gradually learning the various settings and notice that the autofocus doesn't always focus where I'd like it to. Wonder how you'd do using manual focus and see if you can get sharper images that way.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #140044 by Baydream
A handheld 300mm lens in low light is very difficult. Often a tripod or monopod is required.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024