Canon Powershot G12 in 2021

3 years 3 weeks ago #715513 by phxbird
I recently purchased a Canon G12 from Facebook Marketplace. It was in "almost new condition." After playing around with this setup a little, I am very impressed. I bought it because it was cheap and i needed a small camera that could be used in place of my DSLR's. My budget is very limited and this used G12 cost less than 120 dollars. 

The small chip size with a lower pixel rating (10 MP) would seem to be a real image killer. However, this does not seem to be the case. The images look good and can stand cropping and enlarging pretty well. It will not perform to the level of the newer chips but it does take images as good or better than todays latest smartphones. 

The camera is easy to use and has a lot of features that enhance the picture taking experience. I even shot a few test videos of 8mm film projection with good success. Overall this old but functional camera has been a surprise performer. 
Attached are some sample shots with the G12. The one of me crouching down was taken by a 4 year old!

I haven't had an opportunity to try out any of the newer Canon Powershots from this top of the line area. I suspect that the images of these new generation cameras are even better, but for a little over a 100 dollars it is hard to beat the bang for the buck. When you need a camera with full DSLR type controls this camera is hard to beat for the money.  

Attachments:
3 years 3 weeks ago #715516 by peterock33
Hello phxbird. A number of years back, I too was looking for a small camera that I could easily carry around with me.  I came across a usedCanon PowerShot G1X.  It was about 14MP I believe and I was completely surprised at the quality of shots I was getting.  It is definitely nothing to shoot birds in flight or things like that, but for just having it handy to carry around, it was excellent. Part of my job at the time was to record pictures of the work progress on a daily basis, and this one fit the bill perfectly.  It barely fit in my work shirt pocket, but was perfect for a jacket pocket.  Unfortunately, it fell out of my jacket when got off the plane on one of my trips, and I didn't notice till the second leg of my flight. It was one of the very rare times I didn't zip up the pocket part way.  Well it was my fault, no one to blame but myself (and I did know better), so that was that. 
Anyway, it's great when you can find a small companion like that and still get fairly good quality shots.

Photo Comments
3 years 3 weeks ago #715561 by phxbird
Would love to have that camera but will have to settle for the G12. Thanks for the input.

2 years 9 months ago #722075 by sv
Thanks for sharing! Agree with what you say about this camera in 2021. I do the same as you say with a used G12 bought for less than $100.

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024