Need advices about what gear to purchase

5 years 9 months ago #595642 by Tony HD
Hello, I'm a musician and I need to purchase a camera + lens for guitar videos production.

Here is my benchmark, I'd like my videos to get close to this look:

I know there is a post production job here (color grading) but what's the basis to achieve this look?
Any advice is welcome! Thank you.

(I already own a pair of softboxes + old Sony Handycam but this one is technically outdated).

5 years 9 months ago #595644 by Tony HD
Here is a "rawer" version of my reference model, apparently same shooting equipment but no post production work. Maybe that's help.

5 years 9 months ago #595988 by Tony HD
Advice anyone?

5 years 9 months ago #596005 by garyrhook
It's hard to say. There's clearly a very short focal length at work; could be a mobile phone for all we know, with good micing.

We use a Panasonic GH7 for video recording, and I've been very, very happy with it. Excellent quality and imaging for what we need. And no limit when recording in HD. Works as a fine mirrorless system for stills, too.

One thing I see here is pretty even lighting, with the source at camera upper right. Probably a very large softbox? hard to know.  If you haven't considered lighting, I'd suggest starting there. If you have a friend that's a photographer, ask for some assistance.

Finally, why don't you write to the guy and ask him? Worst case, you get ignored. but he just might be willing to share his setup with you.

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #596025 by Tony HD
Hey Gary thank you for this helpful comment.
I agree about the lighting + lighting orientation, I just bought softboxes a couple days ago and Im just starting experimenting with them.

(For some reason I can't write to him)

5 years 9 months ago #596043 by garyrhook
I guess he's some big deal? I don't know the name, but all of the info is for the label, so I guess you can't really communicate with him.

Stand by my suggestion of finding a friend that can help with sorting it all out.

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #596223 by Tony HD
Big name yes.

Yes that's what I did but no one around me is really string at analysing images etc.
so basically that's why I subscribed to this forum! Thanks for the comments Gary.
Then I assume you're also a musician!

5 years 9 months ago #596224 by Tony HD
*I meant strong

5 years 9 months ago #596287 by garyrhook

Tony HD wrote: Then I assume you're also a musician!

Yep.

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #596407 by Shadowfixer1
Panasonic GH5s
5 years 9 months ago #596442 by Tony HD
Thanks Shadowfixer

5 years 9 months ago #596443 by Tony HD
Thanks Shadowfixer it's on my checklist

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024