80D vs X-T2?

5 years 9 months ago #597372 by Adelga
So I'm looking to buy my first camera mainly to shoot landscape and some high speed activity, so far I've been borrowing my friend's X-T2 camera.My situation is:
  1. Buy a new 80D body only for $850 or $920 with kit.
  2. Buy a (still good) used X-T2 body only for $940.
I have around $1300 budget, should i buy an 80D and spend the rest on prime lens, or buy a used X-T2 with kit lens (around $240 used, $332 new)?I won't have more budget for lenses in about half a year and i'm planning to use this camera body for about 3 years.Thank you for the help everyone.

5 years 9 months ago #597882 by Shadowfixer1
Determine which system you would prefer to move forward. Don't look at just a body or a lens. Look down the line and decide which system you would prefer to use 5 years from now. If you think you would actually like to move to full frame in the future, then get the Canon and add full frame glass along the way. Full frame lenses will work just fine on the 80D. If you don't care about full frame and prefer to shoot jpg instead of RAW, then go with the Fuji. Fuji has great color for skin tones in my opinion. Canon color science is also highly thought of and preferred by many. The main thing is decide on a system as changing systems is expensive. Flashes, remote cords, batteries, etc. all have to change with a system swap.
5 years 9 months ago #598063 by KCook
Excellent points by Shadowfixer1 :thumbsup:

I have a little experience with the Canon 50D and Fuji X-T20.  Without getting into the weeds too much, I think a Canon is easier for a beginner to get comfortable with than a Fuji.  Fuji generally has the better lenses, which can make a difference for serious landscape work.  Too bad the Fuji lenses are more expensive too (no free lunch).  You can examine high rez images from the Canon lenses that interest you to see if they are sharp enough.  One unique advantage for Fuji is their film simulations and other JPG controls.  But this applies only to JPGs, where RAW images are concerned I prefer working with Canon RAWs.

I have no experience with high speed work, but I would put my bet on Canon for that.

If I had the budget Fuji would be very tempting.  But I would go with a X-E2(s) instead of the X-T2.  The controls are different and the X-E2 just suits my style of shooting better.

As Canon is expected to launch a whole new mirrorless line within a year their APS-C DSLR line is really being overshadowed by that.  Still very good cameras (as DSLR go), just feels like they are teetering toward extinction.  Of course Fuji has a much, much smaller market share than Canon.  But the demand for Fuji is steadily growing.  No big lurch on their horizon.

What I have actually ended up with is M4/3 (Olympus and Panasonic).  Generally better lenses than Canon APS-C at prices lower than Fuji.

rambling Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024