What Point and Shoot with Auto HRR

5 years 6 months ago #614328 by Ripple
Hi,

I'm looking for a point and shoot that can be placed in a mode in which it takes three exposures in a row (preferably one espouse that is "correct," one exposure plus two stops, and one exposure minus two stops) and combine them into a single JPEG (all in camera). Ideally, I could set different ways of blending the three exposures in camera too (though this may be asking too much).

I am surprised a google search does not come up with a camera that does this.

If such a point and shoot exists, please let me know about it.

(BTW, I figure there are some point and shoots that allow me to get three separate exposures manually, and then combine them in post. This is not what I am asking about. I plan to give the camera to a friend who has a good eye but knows nothing about how to even get a decent single exposure).

Thanks in advance.

5 years 6 months ago #614481 by garyrhook
That's generally a feature of bigger, better cameras.

That said, I found reference to
  • Olympus XZ-2
  • Panasonic Lumix ZS20
You can also use DSLRs in auto mode. Most entry-level models have scenes/presets, and the benefit of a larger sensor. The Nikon bodies will use JPG mode to capture an HDR image, which means that the user need not worry about shooting RAW.

I also just located a reference to in-camera HDR on the Nikon P900. I don't know if the (newer) P1000 has it, but you can check.

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #614493 by Ripple
Hi garyhook,

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Many thanks for your help here. Of these, it looks like Panasonic Lumix ZS20 does a pretty decent job. DPReview’s sample [/font] (here) [font=Calibri, sans-serif] of in camera HDR looks natural enough, although it does say, “…[/font][font=Helvetica, sans-serif]since this is a scene mode, most camera settings are locked up.” (Well, what did I expect?) The focal range of 24–480 mm (equivalent) covers at least three good lenses on a DSLR. I’d be OK with 24-200 mm, but the extra reach is welcome…[/font]
  Looks like the Olympus XZ-2 does not take multiple exposures, but rather underexposes, push processes, and does heavy noise reduction.   That Nikon P900 seems quite nice, if a little big for the pocket of my man bag (purse). Not sure about that super zoom, as it makes it bigger and not sure it’s necessary… Yes I confess, after I posted, I started thinking I might  like one of these for me too, not just my friend…   I hope the others here will continue posting ideas for point and shoots with HDR.

It seems like the HDR of the [font=Helvetica, sans-serif]Sony [/font]
[font=Calibri, sans-serif]HX400Vs is well thought of. How about on their more compact point and shoots? [/font] 
Thanks again..

5 years 6 months ago #614494 by Ripple
Hi garyhook,   Many thanks for your help here. Of these, it looks like Panasonic Lumix ZS20 does a pretty decent job. DPReview’s sample of in camera HDR (here) looks natural enough, although it does say, “…since this is a scene mode, most camera settings are locked up.” The focal range of 24–480 mm (equivalent) covers at least three good lenses on a DSLR. I’d be OK with 24-200 mm. The extra reach is welcome…
Looks like the Olympus XZ-2 does not take multiple exposures, but rather underexposes, push processes, and does heavy noise reduction.    That Nikon P900 seems quite nice, if a little big for the pocket of my man bag (purse). Not sure about that super zoom, as it makes it bigger and not sure it’s necessary… So would not fit so neatly into the pocket of my man bag (purse)…. I confess, after I posted, I started thinking I might like one of these for me too, not just my friend…   I hope the others here will continue posting ideas for point and shoots with HDR.   It seems like the HDR of the HX400Vs is well thought of. How about on their more compact point and shoots?    Thanks again..

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024