Advice Request for New Camera Equipment

5 years 6 months ago #616073 by Sharpie1
I am in the market for an easy-to-manage, somewhat lightweight and compact camera.  I currently have both a Nikon and Canon (older) DSLR.  I prefer Canon.  I have the Canon 50mm f1.8 lens and I shoot exclusively without flash.  I am by no means an experienced photographer.  

I would like a new camera to replace my extremely old Canon DSLR that has a CF card that is a headache to use.  I don't care if it is a DSLR or not - but I would like to replicate the performance of the 50mm f1.8 lens.  In fact, I prefer a prime lens.  

The perfect camera would be a point and shoot sized camera with wifi and large LCD that has a 50mm prime f1.8 or f1.4 lens attached and no zoom.  Prime 50mm only.

If this doesn't exist, I would take one that has a zoom lens built in - as long as it matches the speed of the 50mm f1.8 (and offers that focal length within the zoom range).

If this doesn't exist, I guess I will just need to get another EOS camera body.

Any helpful suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks...   TD

5 years 5 months ago #616624 by garyrhook
You should look at a mirrorless micro 4/3s system with interchangeable lenses. There are many choices available to you, and some very good lenses.

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #616662 by GaryA
Hey Sharpie-

You never mentioned a price-point/budget amount or how you plan to use the camera. I know you’re looking for a 50mm FOV ... but ... I am recommending a mirrorless Fuji x100F, fixed lens camera.  Okay, the lens is a f/2 23mm which feeds an APSC sensor which I turn translates to a full frame equivalent FOV of 35mm.  If you really really want a 50mm Full Frame equivalent ... I still recommend a Fuji mirrorless, maybe a XT20, or a XT3 w/ a 35mm F/2 lens.  Fuji lenses are amazing, Fuji build quality is top notch and Fuji designs its cameras with all the primary functions/adjustments on the surface of the cameras ... hence no menu diving for shutter speed, aperture, ISO, et cetera. 

To be honest, nearly all modern digital cameras will deliver exceptional images.  You won’t go wrong purchasing any of the major brands, Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Fuji, et al ... they are all damn good and there isn’t a lot a difference ... except for camera with ISO Invarience sensors.  A ISO Invarience sensor allows the photographer to adjust the ISO during post processing and the image will appear similar to an image with the ISO adjusted in the field. I know that Sony, Nikon and Fuji have ISO Invarient sensors ... other manufactures may have caught up with their sensor designs ... I don’t know.  

One of the reasons I like mirrorless is that they have an Electronic Viewfinder.  An EVF allows you to see the image as it will appear on the memory card.  I rarely adust my settings per the light meter as I find it faster and more accurate to adjust the settings per my eye than per the light meter.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

The following user(s) said Thank You: [email protected]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024