How to increase resolution of a photo?

4 years 9 months ago #654345 by Jerrid
I feel this is something I should know, however I'm drawing a blank.  When you have a photo that has a resolution of XX pixels per inch and you want to increase it to XXX pixels per inch, how can this be done in Lightroom or Photoshop?  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #654357 by Shadowfixer1
Image size in Photoshop.
4 years 9 months ago #654383 by robertsmith19
In Adobe Photoshop, you can easily increase the resolutions of your photo. You need to simply press the [Alt+ctrl+I] There will appear a display about image resizing. Increase the size with the resolution option. It will increase the image resolution.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #654479 by garyrhook
You're not referring to increasing the resolution of an image. You're talking about changing a parameter that is, essentially, meaningless.

So the question becomes, why? Why bother? I mean, aside from having to placate idiotic print services that think a ppi value of less than 300 means something.... which it does not.

Resolution is about the total image dimensions, not some silly ppi setting. If you have a 4000 x 3000 image set at 100 ppi (which implies a size of 40" x 30"... as if) and you change it to 300 dpi, you allege a size of 13.3" x 10". If you take that image, ignore ppi, and print a 5x7, you get ... the same thing no matter what the ppi setting.

If you actually need to increase the resolution, you can use PS, Capture 1, Topaz Labs Gigapixel, etc. And upsize the file to a larger number of pixels in each dimension. All without needing to change the ppi value.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #654502 by Shadowfixer1
Don't forget if you check resample when changing image size you will increase the resolution. Now, whether one considers that better or not is another story. Back in the beginning it wasn't very good at doing the interpolation so we had tricks or specialty software to help with that problem. The new software does a pretty good job at increasing the resolution. It's not as good as capturing it natively, but it's better than not having it at all.
8 months 6 days ago #756067 by isabellasophie

garyrhook wrote: You're not referring to increasing the resolution of an image. You're talking about changing a parameter that is, essentially, meaningless.

So the question becomes, why? Why bother? I mean, aside from having to placate idiotic print services that think a ppi value of less than 300 means something like .... which it does not.

Resolution is about the total image dimensions, not some silly ppi setting. If you have a 4000 x 3000 image set at 100 ppi (which implies a size of 40" x 30"... as if) and you change it to 300 dpi, you allege a size of 13.3" x 10". If you take that image, ignore ppi, and print a 5x7, you get ... the same thing no matter what the ppi setting.

If you actually need to increase the resolution, you can use PS, Capture 1, Topaz Labs Gigapixel, etc. And upsize the file to a larger number of pixels in each dimension. All without needing to change the ppi value.

When I add the widget with photos to my home screen it displays a certain album being memories etc.. Is there a that I can select which album I want to be appearing on this widget?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024