Tahquamenon Falls, Michigan's Upper Peninsula

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #210185 by Karl Wertanen
I'm going to promote my state again. :patriot: This time around it's Tahquamenon Falls on the Tahquamenon River in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The falls is located in the middle of a beautiful hardwood forest just north east of Newberry and due west of Paradise (yes, that's an actual town). The falls sits right in the middle of the Hiawatha National Forest. Although most of the forest is hardwood and some birch, along the river is almost all Cedar, Spruce and Hemlock.

The falls has a drop of nearly 50 feet and is more than 200 feet across. A maximum flow of more than 50,000 gallons of water per second has been recorded cascading over these falls. Long before the white man set eyes on the river, the abundance of fish in its waters and animals along its shores attracted the Ojibwa Indians, who camped, farmed, fished and trapped along its banks. In the late 1800's the lumber industry found it's way up to northern Michigan and the Tahquamenon River carried its logs by the millions to the mills. Lumberjacks, who harvested the tall timber, were among the first permanent white settlers in the area.

Here's a few of my favorite shots...

I took this when i was 17. In early June, this pink fireweed is all over northern MI. Kodak Royal Gold 25. Approximately 2 second exposure on an overcast day.

I used my 400mm Tamron to get up close and isolate a section of the falls. It's kind of an illusion but you are looking at 50ft of drop there. It doesn't look like it. I also used a 4 stop ND because the direct sunlight was too harsh on the face of the falls to slow it down with just my polarizer and create the water motion blur. I wasn't even sure then that it would be long enough of an exposure. The slowest i could get out of my ISO 100 film and my ND4 was was a 3/4 of a second. I think the sheer speed and volume of the water really helped me out on this one. Fuji Superia Reala 100
The amber color of the water is caused by tannins leached from the Cedar, Spruce and Hemlock in the swamps that is drained by the river.

I used my ND4 as well and my polarizer for this one. It was the same bright morning as the one above. 1.5 seconds on Fuji Superia Reala 100

Winter.... Kodak Royal Gold 25

Nearby within the forest. 1st week of October. Fuji Superia Reala 100 and polarizer.

This was a fun one... If you catch Tahquamenon Falls early enough in the morning, you can catch this awesome light. There's enough open space in front of the falls that the early morning light comes in almost horizontally from the east, blasts the face of the falls and just touches the front of the rapids casting shadows behind them for just a few minutes. ND4, Fuji Superia Reala 100, 1.5 second exposure
12 years 2 months ago #210189 by Rob pix4u2
Just beautiful Karl thank you for sharing the seasons with us :judge:

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 2 months ago #210192 by icepics
Stunning. Shows your talent for this as well as the time and effort you put into it.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #210208 by photobod
The photos are stunning, all of them, the history was interesting and added to the thread and the camera info was helpful, thanks for sharing Karl :judge: :judge: :judge: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #210270 by Karl Wertanen
Thanks... I try to keep it fun and interesting with some local info of the area.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024